Throop,Beat 3 Dorset Stour

hookedup

Reaction score
Hi all,
I will be fishing beat 3 of throop soon for the first time,
and would like to hear from anyone who knows the beat who can help me out.
All I know about the river is that it's quite deep & often has a slow pace,
during my time there(1 week) I will be mainly trying to target
the Chub & Barbel but also Pike & Roach plus hopefully with some luck
I've heard there's a chance of Mullet.

I would very much appreciate as much advice as possible on rigs/baits/info about that stretch/amount of feed to use etc..

many thanks.:)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Beat 3 is the least fished area of Throop. Plenty of fish down there and some stunning looking swims but some appear to be devoid of fish! Travel light and be mobile. It's not all deeps, plenty of shallows and good gravel but it's a long walk (well down below the golf course).

Big barbel and chub are the main targets but this time of year expect lots of weed and not a lot of flow. I've not looked at it yet this season so not sure how the recent high levels have affected it. Hopefully its had a good flush through and will certainly be at a better level/flow than recent opening periods.

Definitely contact Chris Allport the Fishery Manager for good honest info and the local tackle shops - Davis Tackle in Christchurch and/or Ringwood Tackle in particular.

It's also the home of the resident Otters - don't be too surprised if you see one or two! Although there are now more of them down there than ever, it's been the home of Otters since I was a kid in short trousers!

Dave Slater

Reaction score
The fishing on Beat 3 is very hard these days but there are some very good fish there. I would agree with Neil that a mobile approach may be best at this time of the year. I know the stretch well but often find that the fish are not where I would expect them to be as they tend to move around a lot. The Bosley weir area can produce some good results at times and may be a good place to start. Below the next weir, downstram of the caravans, the river is tidal and the tides will have an effect on the fish. The short stretch between the caravans and the tidal weir can produce some very good fish but, at times, can seem almost impossible. If you struggle I would suggest moving on to Beat 2 where, in my opinion, the fishing is a lot easier.
I hope this helps.

R

Royffey

my mate Keith Little is down throop atm, Beat 2, lots of chub coming out 5-6lb average and a few babel to low doubles these last few days.....

the wendy house, barbel corner, and above school bridge seems to be seeing alot of action in the past week and surprisingly few ppkl fishing there :)

dont know about beat 3 :)

---------- Post added at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:42 ----------

It's also the home of the resident Otters - don't be too surprised if you see one or two! Although there are now more of them down there than ever, it's been the home of Otters since I was a kid in short trousers![/QUOTE]

A Fair few YEARS AGO THEN NEIL ;-) haha

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Even Keith has had to beat a retreat; Throop is currently closed due to 6ft of floodwater - no safe access.

R

Royffey

well he must have missed the signs.......... he claimed to have done rather well on his first day up on beat 2 this time round???

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 ----------

" My new book, Big Roach, details here: Big Roach "
thanks for chapter 2......... made a good read :)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There was only one fishable swim yesterday and Keith was in it (5 anglers queuing for it!) but the other areas you mentioned were several feet under water earlier in the week in the highest non-winter flood since May 1979. It peaked Monday night but was very slow to drop, finally started going down fast yesterday afternoon but more rain forecast today. Keith's first day was Friday 7th July when it was up but nothing like this flood which closed major roads in the area earlier this week.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Concur with Mark. Saturday 7th, the top end of Beat 2 fished really well for a while in the morning but the river began rising very fast and by middle/late afternoon you could almost see it coming up. The chub switched off where I was and by the time I left the water it was clear it was going to be a big flood. I did not expect it to get that big though!

The narrative on the EA levels guide hasn't been updated yet but they recorded 1.79mtrs at New Weir on Monday. It's now showing 0.84mtrs:

Environment Agency - River levels station data