Ways to Tackle a Fast Flowing River on the Float

maceo

Reaction score
At the moment the Thames where I fish is really flowing fast thanks to all the recent rain. Normally the flow's pretty slow, but it's thundering along so fast now I can't keep up with a trotted float even walking along the bank as quickly as I can!

The fast flow also means that even big wagglers are getting dragged under and on the edges of the main flow, there are so many eddies and currents that the float's going in all directions - even whizzing round in little circles.

I've given up trying to use the waggler for the moment because of this and legered instead - which I don't really enjoy so much and is also difficult because a heavy weight/feeder has to be used to stop it from rolling off in the current and even then, there's plenty of movement on the quiver tip from the flow pulling on the line.

I was wondering whether anyone had any tips or ideas for how to tackle a river in this condition on the float or how to minimise tip movement when legering in the way I described?

Thanks in advance as always.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Something like a balsa, a Pacemaker or an Avon is better in more turbulent water. Id probably ledger it with a small feeder and quiver though. Id look for swims with some dead water out of the main flow - eddies/bays etc.

red creel

Reaction score
Have a look at the Cralusso Surf and Bolo floats, have used them on the Kennet when its moderately up in smooth-ish water if that makes sense.I am not sure if they would perform correctly if the water is too boily, i believe Sam has used them as well he might have more experience of these floats than myself.

Oh and they pretty pricey as well not the sort of float that you want to be losing too often!:rolleyes:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Find a heavy enough feeder to just hold bottom, cast it out directly in front of you and when it hits the deck leave the bale arm open and let out a good few rodlengths of line so it forms a big bow downstream.
Put the rod on a high rest and the bow will settle and pull your tip round. Bites are usually a sharp tug on the tip followed by a dropback.
Basically a bolt rig and for some reason the bow helps the feeder hold bottom.
Someone else will have explain that....

thames steve

Reaction score
At the moment the Thames where I fish is really flowing fast thanks to all the recent rain. Normally the flow's pretty slow, but it's thundering along so fast now I can't keep up with a trotted float even walking along the bank as quickly as I can!

The fast flow also means that even big wagglers are getting dragged under and on the edges of the main flow, there are so many eddies and currents that the float's going in all directions - even whizzing round in little circles.

Maceo sounds like the swim selection is wrong. When the river is like that you won't catch much, or anything, float fishing the Thames unless you're in a backwater or behind the locks.

maceo

Reaction score
Steve - Well I walked the whole section from Newbridge along to Rushey lock (about 2.5 miles) and the flow was the same throughout - really fast. With a load more rain coming this weekend I can't see things changing very soon. Which section are you fishing? Is the flow more reasonable there?

Thanks for the advice about leaving a bow in the line Peter - I'll give that a go. I went to the tackle shop this morning and stocked up on various different feeders and bombs. Can't see much alternative to legering really for the immediate future anyway.

thames steve

Reaction score
Steve - Which section are you fishing? Is the flow more reasonable there?

Staines down to Chelsea. By the time it gets down to us it's a big body of water with many tributaries adding to it so it has been bombing thru down here aswell. I'd leave the float gear at home when it's like that. Time and place for everything. For wagglers, the Thames in flood ain't the time or the place :)