fly rod for course fishing

tc1

Reaction score
hello, could anyone recommend a decent (cheapish) fly rod or fly set for general course fish, IE length of rod what weight that sort of thing, its to use mostly for course fish but also sometimes for trout.
i know its a hard question to answer as there's so many sizes to choose from but its not for big carp or big lakes it will be used on day ticket commercials mostly for roach bream small carp that sort of thing.
i think a 9ft rod off a 6-7 weight may be OK but i'm up for any advice you can give me. thanks.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
The 6-7 rod should be fine and will handle the odd bigger carp. If you're sure you won't get anything over around 5lb then a 5 wt rod might be worth looking at. Shakespeare do some nice rods thataren't too expensive. This might fit the bill I wouldn't go below 9ft as you'll often be fishing over marginal weeds on still waters.

tc1

Reaction score
thanks for the info, would that be ok for roach as well. and i like your blog page, thanks again.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
A 6 weight rod will be a bit heavy for roach, but will be a reasonable compromise if you're likely to catch carp. Probably best suited to tippets around 4lb to 6lb, but will handle ighter with care.

tc1

Reaction score
thanks for your help, i like the look of the shaksphere rod, thanks again.