Expensive additives

B

Baz Chaz

Following recent discussions on additives for groundbait etc...

Molasses from Angling shop £2.99 for 250 ml

Molasses from Farm Suppies Shop £5.75 for 5 ltr

works out at £59.98 for 5 ltr from angling shop,

hemp seed... Angling shop £2.50 for kg

Farm supplier£11 for 10 kg

now working on the same principle as the wife, I can get loads of new tackle with the $$ I've saved /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Was in Asda last week and they are selling hemp. In very small packets(you can fit in your hand) for £2.50. What a rip off compared to the price from feed shops.

Deanos

Reaction score
I have seen it in chewy bars in the health food shop Mr Spiders, also in bread. You can eat the cooked and roasted seeds, but I believe (a bit like pea nuts) there is both food grade and animal grade hemp seed.

I have tried the oil on food, but find it way to rich, and am not keen on the flavour.

Its protein value is superb!

Deanos

Reaction score
I actually rub it on my big fat legs, the friction of them rubbing together when I am running to the cheap counter at Tesco's to get the cheap pies is very painful!

In fact it is more painful than the day I put athletes foot powder on me bum instead of baby powder....my mam said "why are you walking like that Deanos?...have you been "got at"?

B

Baz Chaz

Health food section ?????????

I'd have to be lost to be looking in there /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Anyone who buys stuff like hemp, pellets, etc from a tackle shop is always going to pay top whack......

As far as hemp for human consuption is concerned i don't know.....i do know my little jack russel ate loads of mine when i put some down to cool.....she was crappin pure hemp all over the lawn after!! seemed to go straight through!!

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
I use farm shop hemp and I have to say I find it difficult to split, even with boiling for hours, or leaving in a flask overnight etc etc. I read somewhere that hemp used tofeed birds is treat with something and its harder to split. I believe them !! I've even put it in a flask with more boiling water for TWO nights and still not properly split. /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
At a BS meeting last year in Oldham Fred Croouch and Steve Pope were doing a talk and Fred no longer boils his hemp just soaks for 24 hours. Said it maid no diffrence and that the only reason it neededboiling to splitwas for the hook. For that i would use the artificial stuff.

B

Baz Chaz

That's handyBryan, I've just been and checked on the hemp that I left on Saturday afternoon, just soaking not boiled and its reasonably soft would be fine in groundbait.

N

Nathan Ball

I've had a meal with hemp seeds in it. It's apparently really good for you! I didn't like really it but you don't know unless you try

tinca steve

Reaction score
You will find that hard to split hemp when boiled can be made to split if soaked for 24 hours then put in a pressure cooker for 12 minutes and let to cool with the pressure left on.

S

Sean Meeghan

Cor! Lee must have been stuck for something to do when he wrote that!

Just a word of warning when buying from seed merchants and farm suppliers. Don't tell them you're an angler as once they cotton on to the fact that angling shop prices are so high the price of your lovely cheap bait tends to go up a bit!

tinca steve

Reaction score
Baz Chaz, I think you are paying to much for your hempseed , I pay £14.99 for 20 KG from a seed merchant.

Maples work out at £9.45 for 25KG.

Tares work out at £11.25 for 25KG.