When was the last time you used a swingtip?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I havent used one for about 25 years, but I still carry around 3 different ones in my tackle box in the floats section.

Used to be a great method, especially with a swingtip board (or whatever it was called) to shield it from the wind with lines painted on it. Then I moved onto Quivertips. Drawback was casting and increased tangles at rod tip with swingtip. But i sometimes wonder if i should have a retro session - after all i did catch my first carp (5Ib) on a swingtip and ledgered bread with a long tail.

Bet theres plenty out there who have never used one?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I havent used one for about 25 years, but I still carry around 3 different ones in my tackle box in the floats section.

Used to be a great method, especially with a swingtip board (or whatever it was called) to shield it from the wind with lines painted on it.

Target board.
And as you say tangle prone, especially with light lines.
Deadly in the right hands though...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have used sidewinders and they seem pretty good especially when its very windy

sam vimes

Reaction score
Probably a couple of years ago now, purely for old times sake. However, I now have a couple of Avon rods with a threaded tip to take a screw in tip. At 12' long they are at least a couple of foot longer than ideal, but I'll probably give it a go again at some point. I enjoy the indications they show but hate casting with them.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
If they have any advantage (which is dubious perhaps overall) it would be their sensitivity - like using an ultra light bobbin but without the resistance of the line through the eyes.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I still have a 10ft swinftip rod, but last time I used it as such was about 16/17 years ago. Lovely at times, a double ringed swinger helped cut the tangles, but quivers are much prefered these days. I just wonder why many rod manufacturers still fit a threaded tip ring to their rods, especially Avon and barbel rods - crazy! Absolutely crazy!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I just wonder why many rod manufacturers still fit a threaded tip ring to their rods, especially Avon and barbel rods - crazy! Absolutely crazy!!!

I don't think I've seen any new Avon or Barbel rod fitted with a threaded tip ring for years. Perhaps it's only the lower end of the market, which I have a nasty tendency to ignore. The pair I have are Daiwa Powermesh Avons which are getting on for twenty years old.

skullsat

Reaction score
Haha i used to use both spring and swing tips horrible at times,i used them mainly when eeling but used quivers for bream etc easier casting,that's brought back some memories.:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have used them but at the time of its popularity I was mainly on the rivers using other methods such as touch legering. Invented by the late Jack Clayton swing tipping was certainly very effective on still water.
Jerry

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Im pretty sure the last time i ever used one was the day of the Royal Wedding (Charles & Diana one!) in 1981 on the Wallers Haven for bream. Having carted 10Ibs of finest crumb to a remote swim, and a knackering walk, the day was totally fish-less in hot sunny conditions. Great to have fishing diaries isnt it!

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I have used a Swing Tip on a few occasions, but not for at least 6 or 7 years, Just to many tangles at the tip sectin for my overall liking, though i do like the bite indications.
I much prefer the Polaris Sidewinder and use that when ever i want to do a bit of legering or feeder fishing.

peterjg

Reaction score
I use a swingtip quite often for close-in roach fishing. I use an 11 inch tapered swingtip with a small betalight fitted in the end for after dark sessions. They are very sensitive and where as even a very soft quiver tip gradually gets more resistant during a bite a swing tip doesn't. Best used with a fixed paternoster - 12 inch link to lead or feeder and a 2 to 3 foot hooklength. Also good if bites are coming too fast to attach a bobbin or if you are fishing on the drop.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I last used a swing tip in the early season of 1981, then bought screw in quiver-tips and never looked back.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
dont own one. My grandad and uncle where fans but ive never used one.

Didn't Len Arbey write about them as being useful for tench fishing used in conjunction with a bite alarm? i may of imagined that, not sure what advantage they would have over a light weight bobbin, how would you see drop backs and how would you tighten up to the lead as would the swing tip not simply straighten out like a quiver tip :confused:

barbelboi

Reaction score
IMO the best positioning for the tip is about 20 degrees from vertical, with the end of the tip just touching the water. This allows the tip just enough movement to indicate drop-back bites as well as forward takes. It’s defenately a good method on stills as it’s much more sensitive than a quiver and the fish feels no resistance.
Jerry

ravey

Reaction score
Used one about a month ago. 'Caught' my biggest fish - a 22lb8oz pike hooked in the anal fin on my 9'6" home made fibreglass rod. Very sensitive. Reading Fred Foster's book re-ignited my interest; I used one as a young angler in the late seventies. It revolutionised my catches after using Fairy liquid bottle tops to kick start my ventures into legering. If you use the same grub screw attachment as Fred advised, with a nylon tip (and link), the tip neither comes loose, twists round, or tangles. The eye at the top of the tip needs to match the tip ring in terms of stand-off. A glass rod seems much better than carbon, and fits with the retro image. The tips are home made, as per the rod. I also use a home made spring tip for when the tow renders the swingtip less effective. Happy days.
I'm no Luddite, though - I must have about fifteen quiver tip rods!