How can I strip the coating off Kryston Snakeskin?

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I've tried dragging the stuff through some scissors and attacking it with wire strippers but all that seems to do is break a lot of the fibre. Is there a foolproof method which preserves all the fibre?

The Kryston website has various videos but nothing showing how to do this...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use Snakeskin much these days, but whatever you do, don't waste your money on the Korda Stripping tool.

I bought 2 of these some time ago and they were about as much use as a chocolate frying pan!

The 'blades' on both of them bent and ruptured after being used all of 3 or 4 times a piece.

A rubbish piece of kit IMO.

Bluenose

Reaction score
If you use the blunt side of a knife Mark, or a blunt knife even .. if you drag it along the plastic coating with a fair degree of force, the friction heats it slightly and turns the plastic a little more malleable and it will start to separate a little at a time.

Hold the snakeskin taught between your knife and thumb and move the blunt edge down towards the end, say about 2-3 inches at a time and it'll come off ok.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
If you use the blunt side of a knife Mark, or a blunt knife even .. if you drag it along the plastic coating with a fair degree of force, the friction heats it slightly and turns the plastic a little more malleable and it will start to separate a little at a time.

Hold the snakeskin taught between your knife and thumb and move the blunt edge down towards the end, say about 2-3 inches at a time and it'll come off ok.

I'll try this. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Mark

here are a few methods that work for me.

1. Thumb nail - stripe a short section at a time.
2. edge of a coin
3. Pass through steam from a kettle to soften and it strips easily (ok if making up rigs at home).

I don't recommend a knife or a stripping tool. As you've found it will damage fibres.

Morespiders

Reaction score
strip it with your teeth.
Yer right Danny, you going to come and get them out when they fall in the water.

PS, just be carefull doing it with your teeth, either Snakeskin or Snakebite have very fine fibres of fiberglass in them not sure which, nails are best, if you dont have any a blunt pair of scissors, or anything that doesnt damage the main fibres,

dannytaylor

Reaction score
never had a problem, just lightly grip it with my teeth and pull?

You could always get one of them rip off Korda stripper thingymabobs :D

Morespiders

Reaction score
never had a problem, just lightly grip it with my teeth and pull?

No you wouldnt have a problem Danny, I can take mine out and put them on my knee, then put the Snakeskin in the grooves and pull, problem is when they slip off my knee

terry m

Reaction score
Go to Maplins or Radio Spares and buy a 'Wire Wrap' tool, it is a very small hand tool that incorporates a st of parallel blades, they are perfect for this application.

Snake skin is rather tougher than most of the other coated braids.