Fly fishing for Mullet

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this or any thoughts. I have shoals of small thin lipped mullet in a river swimming around on the surface; at least I think that is what they are. There will be shoals of thick lipped coming in soon. I have caught a couple on bread but, generally that will cruise around near the surface and that's it. Would fly fishing work - dry or nymph. Just interested and thinking of giving it a try sometime and wondered if anyone has any view or experience of this.
I would imagine a 5lb mullet on fly tackle would be a bit scary but, quite something to achieve..

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Mike Ladle claims they'll take a maggot, especially when the seaweed washed up by a spring tide has rotted and filled with seaweed maggots, and is then washed back into the sea by the next spring tide. I guess that feeding maggots with a catty and using one (or an imitation) on the hook would have a chance....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Great couple of links Pertinaxone..thanks. It seems shrimp patterns are best but, I also liked the idea of a blood worm design as this would also be like a natural food for Mullet. I guessed a nymph would be best; never seen a Mullet go for a fly on the surface.
Good thought Mark the Spark, however, where I am fishing is near the sea but the river is closed off by lock gates and sea weed does not creep into the river but, I am sure a maggot on the tip could work. I am lucky in that the river here is nice and calm with nice flat banks and no trees or anything. I think it would be ideal to try the fly for these Mullet which you can see swimming about on the surface especially in August/September.
Seeing that some anglers have tried this and have had some success has given me the impetus to give it a go. I would imagine a 5lb Mullet caught on fly would be quite a challenge but, very exciting...Many Thanks...