Woodland Waters

Iceman

Reaction score
Hey has anyone fished this place its near Grantham in Lincolnshire ?

Had a look round and spoke to baliff and he gave it a real glowing talk up but didnt see any anglers on the lake I was looking at .

ingy

Reaction score
what are you going to fish for mate fish there a fair bit

Iceman

Reaction score
Was looking at going on the match lake , theres supposed to be some big tench in there

ingy

Reaction score
yes some very nice tench in there try the far bank away from the road way in shelf about 10 foot out , but not sure what like at min with this cold weather, but in summer 100lbs bags are very common .

P

Phil Heaton

The match lake holds a good head of cracking tench which at times come out to play......

As you enter the site the match lake is the first lake on the right hand side, just beyond the log cabins, as you pass it a small road goes off to the right between the match and specimen lakes, park in the small car park. From the car park looking towards the match lake is a large willow with two pegs on the water side of it, the left hand peg is against a tree lined bank but the right hand is in more open water.

I fish here with about 6' of water at 6m to 8m out with a margin pole, feeding micro pellets with sweetcorn or luncheon meat on the hook. As the weather warms up the fronds of weed can become dense meaning strong flouro lines and substantial size 12 to 14 hooks and dont forget to hold on the buggers are turbo charged.

Phil

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Hi Iceman. I was born and raised in nearby Sleaford before joining the Navy. I still have family in the area so a visit to see them can be combined with a holiday at Woodlands. Phil Heaton is right, and so are you, to target the Match Lake. I recognise the peg Phil is talking about and have fished it - good spot. Any of the pegs in the 40s will produce good tench and bream and I've found sweetcorn, 8mm Mistral dusted hali pellets and Dynamites Mini Meaty Bites will take carp, bream and tench. Personally I used method feeders with The Source groundbait mix.

Steer clear of the little roach pool - leave it to the kids although the Small Carp Lake is fun with loads of smallish carp, cruciansand tench to maggots, pellets, corn and meat (try bread from a bacon butty for the bigger carp!!!!!) and the Birch Pool is pretty much the same. Fun fishing with no real surprises. I wasn't keen on the Specimen Lake which appeared devoid of fish life during the times I fished it!

Reaction score
yeh the sepci. lake is pretty hard going.some good pike in there though.
as the above said anywhere in the 40's seem to produce on the match lake.

monty

Reaction score
Had a ride up there on Friday afternoon 21.3.08,two lads were fishing the match lake and they had caught a couple of Bream and four or five Tench between them,hopefully i will be on the lake on monday.I actually prefer the specimen lake,if you can locate the Bream shoals you can easily do 100lb plus bags.

Az

Reaction score
the speci lake is full of carp loads of 20's good looking fish aswell, for me the best method has to be getting them off the top its like shelling peas, its a very busy place but definetly a good place to get a bit of action if youre on a low,at the first signs off the weather warming give it a go near the island you will easily locate the fish and dont shy out of trying a more blatent approach to getting a bait in the way of there path. youll catch if you go to the fish.