GETTING SNAGGED UP

• Thread starter Baz (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I don't suppose it matters when it does happen. It's happened and that's it.

You haven't been snaped off, but has anybody given it any thought or got any theories as to how Chub can transfer the hook from mouth to tree root and leave you snagged up?

I've got a couple of ideas as to what I see as the only possible way of this happening. What do you think?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I have had this done to me on one of my fav nene haunts by what i presume to be the mother of all chub.

As far as i can recall,all my chub have been caught/landed with the hook held fair and square in the lip or scissors of the mouth.

I can only think that the chub has picked my bait up.....passed it back towards the crushing teeth and started to move off.....this is when i`ve struck.....the hook has taken hold inside the mouth,which isn`t as secure.....the chub has taken me through theusual snags.....the combination of the weaker hook hold and presure from the snags catching the line,has forced the hook from the mouth.....and there you have it,snagged up!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have actually watched a chub I've hooked and about to land, transfer the hook to a tiny root sticking out from the bank and it was done in the blink of an eye. He did it by opening his mouth and taking the root into his mouth then turned and swam away minus a hook and leaving me attached to the root and blinking in amazement..

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

So true graham i also have seen it done to me last year fishing a small river, swan right into some liitle roots gave a couple of shakes and twists and gone.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Graham and Bob are right, I've had the same annoying experience and seen it 'in action' so to speak.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Good answers and is what I was thinking.

What prompted me to ask was that I was watching the G.M. video on Chub fishing (again). He more or less posed the same question. Then went on to say that nobody really knows the reason why.

My answers would have been, the chub once hooked, bites onto a tree root and pushes the spade end or eye of the hook against the tree root and pops it straight out onto the snag. Or that the hook has partly come out during the battle and finally pulls out straight into a tree root.

There is another little question that he almost poses, but I have forgotten what it is.

S

Sean Meeghan

Can't have been important then!

I wonder if this is a learned behaviour (chub not Baz) or if chub have always used this technique to get rid of foreign objects in their mouth.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Another little trick that seems exclusive to Chub, jumping out of keepnets./forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I remember the odd chub doing that to me but I've had countless dace do it.So much so that I used to fit a bungee round the top of the net to deter the little sods.Dace would get my vote for top fishy escapologists AND for ability to bury a float a foot down and yet not get hooked on the strike.Never could work that one out.

J

John Howard

Have to agree with whats been said. Years ago on the Dane I watched a chub I had hooked swim up to a twig which touched the hook. I slackened off and the chub was washed away by the current.

Couldnt believe my eyes, and until now have never had it confirmed

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
I got a bit snagged up trying to remember my old log in name!!!!

The wily old chub, shakes his head and dumps your bait.

There are a few variables to consider when relating to a chubs ability to dump a hook.

Firstly barbed or non-barbed? me I prefer barbed if it is in my clubs rules to do so.

Direct hooking or hair rigging a bait? myself I go for hair rigging, it allows for the bait to be taken back and crunched before the fish actually feels the hook and disgorges, even whilst disgorging there is a greater probability of hooking up.

Hitting a bite or waiting for it to develop? The chub I tend to target usually whack the rod and disappear, so you need to be on a knife edge all the time, but should I wait a bit for a second bite of the cherry , or wind in like I usually do and rebait? who knows?

I would love to hear from an old campaigner like Mr Conway who targets chub and can give a bit more perspective to hitting or missing chub bites.

I do know that in the dead of winter they are an exacerberating fish to deal with compared to the fairly stupid grayling/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Crickey.....where have you been hiding Sgt?....I watched an interesting proram about chub fishing tonight......bait used were lamprey pieces and dead bait i.e small roach, minnow etc.

Mince meat were used as groundbait and hook bit was a piece of steak........now I would be lying if I'd say that I knew chub were predators....I didn't!!!! Did you or anyone else used simular tactics before?

P.S Grayling are not stupid *sulk*

C

Cakey

most chub around here come out to livebait........................they love a maggot

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
Hello Sean had a great night in Wetherby, hopefully, now that I am fully tinternetted (dependant on third parties!!!) I hopefully can take a more healthy and interactive part of the FM community.

Claudia, missed you all, hopefully I will see you later this year at one of the FM soirees.

I have been having a bit of success using Lamprey pellets ala teme valley, I havent tried lamprey pieces as yet, but, I know chub are susceptable to mackeral chunks as I found to my surprise when fishing for pike in Tamworth, so it wouldnt surprise me that they wouldnt take steak. It is funny that we are obsessed with using processed meats in the form of spams and salamis in one guise or another, yet are loath to use meat in the raw state, I would be interested to here from people who have had catches using meats in the raw form.

As for Grayling::: bloody little line plinkers.

F

Fred Bonney

Chub with brains enough to unhook themselves?

Nah,fish will take any chance at all to move into the safety of a snag,it's chance if that leads to a dehook.

Keep contact with your fish with a tight line. I just can't accept chub have the ability to think about unhooking themselves. If they were that clever, they wouldn't take your bait in the first place,especially something un-natural.

Catching chub on a hair rig?

It is often said,( I won't disagree) thatchub will take a bait in their lips and move backwards, this gives you the 'false' bite,(especially on a longish hair).

If they get no feel of linetension, they will have another go, that's the time to strike.

If your going to use hair rig for chub, keep it as short as possible,so the bait is off the back of the hook, that 'false' bite will not occur.

All a matter of opinion of course, but I think we are in danger of giving fish the credit of far too much brain matter.

Trisantona

Reaction score
If they get no feel of linetension, they will have another go, that's the time to strike. well that is a learning process, but agree they wouldn't be able to unhook themselves as a lot of adults don't know how to use a disgorger./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif