holding fish in cloth

stikflote

Reaction score
hi All is there an official view on holding fish in a cloth ,im of the opinion its detrimental
to health of fish ,im trying to bring it in as a rule in my club that its not allowed,ive seen barbel held like this ,and chub ,would like your views please

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Hi stickfloat.

The general view is that fish should not be held with a cloth. There is no need for it, and it could actually damage fish and most probably does. Use wet hands only.

stikflote

Reaction score
Hi Baz, its like hitting a brick wall in my club over this, i want it stopped

W

Wolfman Woody

It does remove protective layers of mucous that keep out bacterial diseases.

Once it's removed the fish is open to these diseases and also more susceptible to any parasites like one of the ergasilus family.

Ask those members who do it if they'd like to be rolled around for 30 minutes in 40 grit sandpaper or rubbed down with sharkskin. It must be about the same to a fish.

Good luck, but I know what you're up against.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Stickfloat.

Add to your request that anglers who hold fish in cloths are killing their own future sport.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I would have thought Sticky, it is an unwritten rule , you just dont do it, it's one of the first thing's you teach an angler, alway's wet your hand's before holding a fish, do any of the pratt's, nail the fish to the floor to take the hook out?.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Mucus (slime layer) is the first physical barrier that inhibits entry of disease organisms from the environment into the fish. It is also a chemical barrier, containing enzymes and antibodies which can kill invading disease organisms. Mucus also lubricates the fish, aiding their movement through water, and is important for osmoregulation.

Injury as a result of handling (i.e., capture, transport, etc.) and certain chemicals in the water (i.e., poor water quality, disease treatments) remove or damage the mucous layer, reducing its effectiveness as a barrier against infection at a time when it is needed most. This damage decreases the chemical protection of the slime layer and also results in excessive uptake of water by freshwater fish. Decreased lubrication causes the fish to expend more energy to swim at a time when its energy reserves are already depleted.

DONT USE A CLOTH!

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
For better sized fish (particularly tench) dont handle them at all. Unhook them in the landing net.

Id like to see anyone unhook a 4lb tench with nothing but wet hands.

W

"Id like to see anyone unhook a 4lb tench with nothing but wet hands."

Never had a problem with that. Had over 400lb of them in a day at Blenhiem, me and Murray, all unhooked with wet hands, all between 4-7lb. Knowing and learning how to grip them and its done in the bat of an eyelid.

B

Bully

I am sure its been said above (sorry, haven't read all posts) but using a cloth, dry or wet, is an absolute no, no in my book.

W

"Yes, a heavily mascaraed eyelid."

Yup, a light blue. /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

prefer pink myself, but wet hands and NO cloth even better.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Very good point Les.........wet grass can be better than a dry mat.