Laziness ....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
That wind knot in your hooklink, a shot fell off your float rig, hook misshapen from pulling out of a snag or I can swing this in :eek:mg:
How often as the day wears on does laziness take over, you leave it and fish on knowing that if you hook one you may possibly lose the fish of a lifetime?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That wind knot in your hooklink, a shot fell off your float rig, hook misshapen from pulling out of a snag or I can swing this in
How often as the day wears on does laziness take over, you leave it and fish on knowing that if you hook one you may possibly lose the fish of a lifetime?

As soon as I notice a wind knot in my hooklength I change the hooklength.
If it is a wind knot in the rig then I will use a knot picker to remove it.
Bent hooks are replaced as are any missing shot on the rig.

I'm told that I am somewhat OCD when it comes to my fishing, and particularly my baits, so personally I try to ensure that everything is in as perfect an order as is possible, sadly it does only leave one real reason for the odd lost fish . . . . . . . . . and that is pilot error LOL

nicepix

Reaction score
Guilty, M'lud.

Me too! Last month, 34C, sweat running down into my eyes, couldn't get the tag end of the line back through the second loop, though '****** it'. Baited up, cast out and guess what came back after a screaming run? Eveything but the hook length :eek:

little oik

Reaction score
Guilty as charged .

Just last week I unhooked a fish (With forceps in a rush to get it back in the wate ragain)) went to rebait the hook and felt abrasions on the hooklink where the forceps must have caught it ,being the last cast of the day thought that will do cannot be bothered and low and behold had a little twitch on the float which then preceded to hare off at a great rate of knots towards the lillies , a little sidestrain and extra thumb pressure on the drum ensured quick recovery of the tackle out of the water minus the last half inch including the hook

Will I do it again ,probably thats why I am human

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I had a a strange nightmare start to a session on Monday. En-route about 15 mins from home i realised that i had brought a second set of car keys in my pocket - which the wife would need to take our girls to school . So i had to turn back and drop them off and start again. So i arrived 30 minutes later than i intended and dawn had by now broken - i had hoped to have baits out by this time.

Tackling up, i then realised i had left the bite alarms at home. Infact that was after i had already rigged up one Avon rod with a light method feeder, so i had to dismantle that and go to an identical rod which has a screw tip ring to take a threaded quivertip. Threading the line up through the rings it suddenly pings all the way back from half way through my customised screw in quivertip (built from a Drennan push-in one) back to the reel. This happened TWICE and is always a bad omen in my book.

Putting on the method feeder i then lost grip of the line under tension and it pinged off again, losing the line guide bit that you thread back down onto the feeder.. so i had to route around for another. More happened too, dropping ledger stops, a hook, etc etc. But the icing on the cake was 5 minutes after eventually getting that rod nicely set up and with another proper quivertip rod out as well - albeit 45 minutes after i had intended to be at this stage....I get a nice little perch, of about 6 oz. I swing this in..but as i reach for it my custom Quivertip suddenly snaps at the base and slides down next to the perch. So its back to the bag for a different quivertip and onwards it goes as i retackled for about the fourth time in 30 minutes. It was almost like one of those bad dreams you get sometimes. I thought about just giving up and heading home but instead chose to fish a different swim. Everything went fine after that..so it must have the first swims fault..although i only caught a few more perch.

Seriously contemplating taking my rods already set up in future though.

Last edited:

nhs service

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in 3 hour sessions,after that like on my local canal,fishing for tench, once the sun gets up the bites dry up and its tough to keep plodding away so inevitably I become a garden gnome and sit there for ages doing nothing.
which is ok,it's a nice day.lovely surroundings,but it's not really fishing.
Having said that one of my best Severn roach came after I let the float swing in and fish for itself whilst I had a cuppa and a fag.
All the best.

guest61

Reaction score
When I was younger I was guilty of such 'laziness'. Now older, on the bank I make sure that knots are correct and trimmed correctly, lines are not kinked, shotting is how I want it, float rubbers are of the correct diameter. As the nights draw in I regularly get elements of my tackle box together rather than watch TV, checking how many hooks of each pattern I have, do I have enough split shot in each size? etc.. etc..

:eek:mg: I need to rethink my life..

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I check the hook point for sharpness every time I reel in - if it's not sharp enough I change the hook

When tying the hook link if there are any kinks in it I'll try warming the line by rubbing it accross my trousers and then holding it tight to straighten - if that doesn't work - I change re-tie the hook length