spreads

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Has anyone used chocolate or peanut butter (smooth) as a coating for baits? Some thing I'm thinking of trying
Also using coco powder or drinking chocolate made into a paste for fishing

some boilies are chocolate flavoured so it may work

barbelboi

Reaction score

Has anyone used chocolate or peanut butter (smooth) as a coating for baits? Some thing I'm thinking of trying
Also using coco powder or drinking chocolate made into a paste for fishing

some boilies are chocolate flavoured so it may work

You could get Bentnets to start your own chocolate flavoured bread punch franchise.
Jerry

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I remember someone on FM in the past advising making a Marmite sandwich (no butter or crust) and rolling it with a pin, then punching baits out.

Can't say I have tried it yet but it sounds good to me..

laguna

Reaction score
Marmite spread very very very thinly on white bread does seem to attract the chub in my experience. I would guess its the yeast component same reason why bread is taken in preference to other baits?

Umami taste of Marmite can be a bit overpowering so use it sparingly!

PEANUTS!
I wouldnt use peanuts in any shape or form for bait, even the store bought brands of peanut butter contain certain (albeit low) levels of aflatoxins. Processing doesn't destroy the toxin, so more will be growing in the peanut butter as it sits on the supermarket shelf.

seksee

Reaction score
Do fish love or hate Marmite ?

My old man swears by it... He coats his luncheon meat in it and freezes/defrosts the flavour into the meat. Works really well on waters where the fish are wary of the usual baits - the carp seem to love it!

cg74

Reaction score
PEANUTS!
I wouldnt use peanuts in any shape or form for bait, even the store bought brands of peanut butter contain certain (albeit low) levels of aflatoxins. Processing doesn't destroy the toxin, so more will be growing in the peanut butter as it sits on the supermarket shelf.

Ok you won't use peanuts as a bait and strictly speaking they're a carrier of aflatoxins but you're over stating the issue somewhat.
Shop bought peanut butter (which is the only form I've ever encountered) is manufactured under strict guidelines. The level of aflatoxins does not increase while stored correctly. Up until the lid is opened it is a stable product.

Mycotoxins including aflatoxins can be found in most cereal crops (wheat, barley, oats) and pulses (maize, beans, peas, sweetcorn) and if you're worried about them now, you should avoid eating any of the crops I've listed for the next year, as what with the weather this year, the mycotoxin levels will be high.

Back on topic; do you really see a potential health issue in coating a hook bait in peanut butter (shop bought), bearing mind that the fish aren't likely to eat it anyway?

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Your probably right, I might be over stating it, but alfatoxins found in peanuts even in trace amounts are a real danger to fish you would be surprised just how little is required to kill.

Peanuts, groundnuts, monkeynuts or whatever you want to call them (technically a legume) are particularly susceptible to contamination during growth because they lay just below the soils surface where it is warm and humid - favourable conditions for mould growth.
Normal processing will not destroy the aflotoxins (seemingly only irradiation or very high protein destroying temperatures are needed), prolonged storage to reduce water content leads to even more severe infection by the mould fungus aspergillus flavus favouring a more mildly humid environment, releasing the toxic and highly carcinogenic substance aflatoxin. Storage of peanuts reduces the water content which ordinarily eradicates a large proportion of the mould but the toxin is the real killer and remains active despite this.

Yes it is found in other foods such as corn and grain as you say, but in negligible amounts. I think it has something to do with the fact that anything plucked out of the ground will deteriorate faster than a food that grows from it suggesting that the conditions just below the surface are optimal for fungal/mould growth.

BTW rejected peanuts (poorest quality with obvious mould growth and those found to be contaminated) are routinely used to make peanut oil (the original diesel engine fuel) and are sometimes resold through intermediaries (apparently checks are done only on the raw nut product).

I know of two UK bait companies that use the oil and only one as far as I know sells a nut paste the last time I checked, there may be more but its not surprising considering the nutritional value that fish find attractive in peanuts.

Considering that China is the largest grower accounting for nearly half of worlds production, surprisingly they consume most of it themselves, probably because of the higher incidences of contamination of stock piling and fewer quality control measures means they are unable to export?

The oil is also used for biodiesel production (which I was involved in a few years ago as a private venture dealing in methanol and titration liquids) and its waste derivatives glycerol can be converted to propylene glycol, which in my opinion is the cheapest (and most common) liquid carrier additive used for artificial food colours and flavourings, also propylene glycol is known to exert a higher level of biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) during degradation in surface waters than raw sewage but that's another story.

Back to the nuts...

Peanuts kill in other ways not previously known to science.
After more than two years of investigation involving six major US laboratories, including one in London, the cause for bird death was diagnosed as not being caused by ingestion of peanuts contaminated by alfatoxins, but containing a fungus produced poison attributed to the mould Fusarium Compactum, which produces a deadly toxin under cold, wet conditions that previously was unknown to science prior to 1985.

Introducing peanuts in "cold wet conditions"... apart from my dogs nose what else is cold and wet I wonder? :D

Seriously though, the dangers of peanuts introduced into our cold waters (or left out for the birds) cannot be over stated!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have used peanut butter spread on bread and found roach liked it. There is palm oil in peanut butter which comes off in the water. Whether this attracts the roach I do not know.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Well just cut up 2 tins of meat, coated one lot in drinking chocolate powder , the other tin was covered in a paste made from drinking chocolate powder and water , I'll report back the results

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chocolate has a good track record as a bait additive, Way back in the early 80's when Fishing Patsull lake for the trout on a fly I ran out of orange flies which was the going colour at the time.

After trying and failing with several other colours I resorted to knocking up a cats whisker type fly on the boat using the foil wrapping from a chocolate orange as the body. It was a killer and over the next few weeks, until we got bored with the easy fishing, my brother in law and I took the lake apart with it.

I did hear that Teme Severn were testing a Chocolate Orange boilie for release in the future, it will be interesting to see how that goes.

cg74

Reaction score
Chocolate has a good track record as a bait additive, Way back in the early 80's when Fishing Patsull lake for the trout on a fly I ran out of orange flies which was the going colour at the time.

After trying and failing with several other colours I resorted to knocking up a cats whisker type fly on the boat using the foil wrapping from a chocolate orange as the body. It was a killer and over the next few weeks, until we got bored with the easy fishing, my brother in law and I took the lake apart with it.

I did hear that Teme Severn were testing a Chocolate Orange boilie for release in the future, it will be interesting to see how that goes.

I'd better not say anything that could be seen as derogatory about Teme Severn baits, don't want to upset one of their sponsored anglers, but they're a bit slow on the uptake, as chocolate Orange boilies have been on the market for a couple years now.

I must admit, I never had any success at all using chocolate as an additive but the results some have had using choc orange boilies - They obviously do work.