Fishing in Oxford

bratley18

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just moved to Oxford for uni and I'm on the lookout for a few new spots along the Thames or, if I have to, the canals. I'm living in Harcourt and travelling on foot/by bus so I don't want to be going very far from the town center. I've been able to do a bit of running in the area and some nice gents along the river have told be that there's a stretch of the Thames by Osney lock that's free fishing, but it looks like a tricky area at best.

I'm more than happy to join a local club if the price is right. I'd ideally like to target Chub/Perch but I understand that the canals also hold some Carp and that there are Bream/Tench to be found in the river. Back home I fished the River Lea for Chub and Barbel on pellets with the odd Carp roaming around but never really taking.

Any tips on locations, tactics and good value memberships would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Go to Fat Phil's Tackle shop in Abingdon Road, about 3/4 mile South out of the city centre and buy a Littlemoor AS (affiliated to Oxford DAA) book for £10 for the year; that'll get you miles of access on the Thames in/around Oxford, far more than the short free bit plus other waters in the area. Look up Oxford ODAA and see their website for more. Also consider North Oxford AS - Ask Phil; not sure the price of their book (poss. £20-£25?) but they have most of the canal in the city.

bratley18

Reaction score
Fat Phil's rings a bell from what folk were saying bankside, it looks like a bit of a trek from here but well worth the trip. While I'm here, do you know of any tackle shops that are nearer the town center and therefore a bit more accessible by bus?

maceo

Reaction score
The only other one I know of in Oxford is Predator Angling which is in the Kidlington Centre.

Very friendly and decent bait, but only a small shop (less than half the size of Phil's) and consequently less of a range to choose from.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fat Phil's is the last remaining tackle shop in the city. Catch a bus going south in St Aldate's and you need to get off near Weirs Lane (the road to Donnington Bridge). The tackle shop is in Abingdon Road which is what St Aldates becomes after a short while.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Buses to Redbridge Park and Ride will take you the route Mark mentions. Fat Phils is just 60 yards or so before Weirs Lane and if you walk along Weirs Lane you will come to a backwater. Day Tickets for this are available from Fat Phils priced £3. It's mine, but I get nothing from the DT sales, Phil gets to keep it all. :( The Thames is further over the bridge, a nice stretch, but ODAA water and well worth joining that association, as Mark already said.

PS There's a Go Outdoors next to the Park & Ride, but they don't (or didn't) sell tackle (thank Heavens). Useful for outdoor clothing though.

bratley18

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice people.

Went to fat Phil's and got my Littlemoor book plus some advice on where to target the Chub around the city center. Top bloke with what looks like a very handy shop. I'll be out tomorrow to see what I can bag from the stretch up near the railway station. Any tips on where to find some Bream would be appreciated but the Chub should keep me happy for now!

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Thanks for getting a Littlemore ticket mate. The chub should just start to come on now. There are a few good chub pegs on our club water at Sandford. The Channel and Medley also holds some monster chub. Feel free to contact me if you need more detailed advice.