Woody's top tackle tips - No. 1

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Bringing you the best of inventions and top tackle tips ...

I was described by one Geoff Maynard once as being 'anal' about my tackle, can't understand what he meant by that, but I have always taken good care of it in the hope that when I come to flog it on Fleabay it brings in top dollar.

One concern is with these new spare aluminium spools when packed in the standard reel case they tend to chip away at the cheaper paint jobs you get on reels these days. What I found was that I saved the plastic tops from 'er indoors' hair spray cans and they fit many a spool very well. Put the spool inside them and when you pack the spool away in the reel case it can no longer chip the paint away. See pics below....

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture3259-j4041664.jpg

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture3260-j4041665.jpg

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture3261-j4041666.jpg

You can see on that last picture a little damage that has already been done to the handle. Small enough and won't affect the operation, but will reduce its price later on.

Tip 1B - I used a labelling machine (from my old business) to indicate the line strengths on my spools by labelling them on the inside. You can do the same with any old bit of sticky label and write it on or just write it directly on the spool with a permanent marker, it will come off with white spirit usually.

maceo

Reaction score
Yeah I do that too, use bits of sticky label with the line strength/manufacturer written on inside the spool. I read about doing that somewhere else and it's been very handy indeed.

The can lid idea seems good, but since I carry my spools loose in a pocket of my rod case, I think they'd just drop out from the lids.

Finally, although I like to keep my kit clean and look after it as much as possible, it's not because I'm worrying about its resale value. I intend using mine until it wears out completely or breaks so I have to buy another one.

Why do you sell your tackle after a while? Is it so you can update to the very latest models?

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
You make me feel sooooo inadequate, Jeff.
Most of my gear is still in my rucksack in the garage where it was unloaded after the last trip to the Wye, Feb 2012.

I'm not into fancy reels but I do have a couple of "RRP £115" Shimano 3000 something free spool things, and the spools have nothing more than printed sticky back plastic showing the name and model - which usually curls/peels off

nicepix

Reaction score
I just hope that when I die my wife gets as much as she thinks I paid for my tackle when she flogs it on eBay. :wh

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always look after my fishing gear n'all. I sometimes wrap the spare spool in bubble wrap.
I often see people with rods in a quiver and the reels (expensive reels) just bashing together...they must just have to much money !!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I have also seen plastic containers with lids that were used to store cosmetic creams re-cycled as spool containers.

Tip for removing black permanent marker ink - Acetone. Just be careful its not applied to some plastics though - it dissolves them.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
What make is the labelling machine Jeff and does it print in colour?
It's a Brother and depends on the colour of label tape you put in. I have black on yellow, black on white, and red on white. I got it to mark off comms cables on the fax units I used to sell.
And does it only print upsidedown
Just depends which way around you hold the unit when it prints it off, it's clever like that.
When will you be offloading that marvelous 3 piece Carp rod?
PO. :D
I just hope that when I die my wife gets as much as she thinks I paid for my tackle when she flogs it on eBay.
I hope my wife DOESN'T sell it for what I told I paid for it, it's worth far more.
Meths will remove most inks and does not melt plastic.
Isopropyl alchohol is pretty good, but test it on small areas first. Good steriliser.

I must be anal then, whatever that means. I just like to take my tackle out on the bankside (watch it Barnard!!) as if it had just come out of the box for the first time. I can sum it up in one word - PRIDE. Someone gave me a rod to try once that was absolutely coated in groundbait all down the handle and most of the butt length of the carbon, including the ring. When I gave it him back he didn't recognise it as being his.

sam vimes

Reaction score
When will you be offloading that marvelous 3 piece Carp rod?

3 piece carp rods are like rocking horse poop, aren't they. I know that I'm chuffed as buttons to have three 3 piece Daiwa Powermesh from the mid-nineties. I wouldn't part with them for any amount of money that anyone would be prepared to pay.

Isopropyl alchohol is pretty good, but test it on small areas first. Good steriliser.

The alcohol wipes used by medics to sterilise injection sites work a treat.

I must be anal then, whatever that means. I just like to take my tackle out on the bankside (watch it Barnard!!) as if it had just come out of the box for the first time. I can sum it up in one word - PRIDE. Someone gave me a rod to try once that was absolutely coated in groundbait all down the handle and most of the butt length of the carbon, including the ring. When I gave it him back he didn't recognise it as being his.

I'd be surprised if you were the only one. I'm a messy sod in so many ways. However, my fishing gear is cleaned regularly and as well looked after as is possible.

For spool storage I have these, these and a Shimano Aspire quad reel case that hase spool storage slots built in. It would seem that few bought the Fox case. Lucky for me that I found them heavily discounted.

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Sam, the rod in question here is perhaps the worst rod I have ever seen/handled...and I'm not being personal about Woodhouse.

It was a Mitchel and was in a shop I was working in on occasion while I was between jobs.
Woody used to come in to talk at me and when I had enough, I knew that the sales patter to shift the rod would send him packing.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Woody used to come in to talk at me and when I had enough, I knew that the sales patter to shift the rod would send him packing.
Right, that's it. Sunday's off now, fish on your own!

You were taken by that rod though, I could see it in your eyes. Either that or you'd just .... nah, too much thought...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Alternatively a vat of Hydrochloric acid might be more appropriate? (Sam?)

Good Lord, no. I wouldn't dream of destroying something that some loon might pay good money for.;):D:p

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Sam, the rod in question here is perhaps the worst rod I have ever seen/handled...and I'm not being personal about Woodhouse.

It was a Mitchel and was in a shop I was working in on occasion while I was between jobs.

I've never really liked the items that Mitchell were admired for. I can't imagine just how bad their rods must have been.;):D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That would never do for me, I'm the kind of guy who only washes my car if I'm selling it.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Anal agressive rather than anal passive methinks... You'll have to read up on your Freud Jeff!
I actually meant that comment as a compliment when I said it. I wish I could be so disciplined. My tackle is sorely abused. My reels, about 50 of them, live in a plastic storage bin, all rattling up against each other. They might be chipped, battered and squeak a bit but they still catch fish. I could never sell one on - unless I find a blind angler who is also a mug, and they are rarer than 3-piece carp rods.