Recommendations for a light bomb rod

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
i am on the lookout for a light bomb/feeder rod of around 10ft. Something like the New Team Daiwa one (approx £110-149) but open to recommendations for any others (preferably costing rather less).

I am looking for the sort of rod that would be ideal for winkling out bits and pieces, hopefully the odd better roach or odd chub in a tight swim on a small river on ultralight tackle. If it had a pencil-thin profile, white quivertip (0.5-1oz range) and full cork handle that would be great.

Any ideas what might be a good buy or ones to avoid? I am happy to look for s/hand - infact i am half expecting to find something about 10-20 years old to offer best value for an old school rod of this type.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
On another more match orientated forum recently the most recommended light bomb rod was the Maver reactorlite 9ft6in.
Personally I am very happy with my Garbolino SuperG 10ft...
I think both will fit in with your budget..

dangermouse

Reaction score
I have a Drennan Red 10ft carp Feeder - comes with a 1 oz tip...less than£50...worth a look

Well it`s alright for catching bream I suppose :rolleyes: :p :D

I`ve heard good things about the Garbolino Rocket Picker, very cheap option but it might suit you. Handled one a few weeks ago and seemed quite a nice rod, especially considering the price.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas chaps - I will check those out.

Something ultralight is what i am aiming for - old school match style suitable for 1-2Ib hook length. To be the lightest and most delicate leger rod in my armoury - not for tench or fishing at much range etc.

My go-to rod in such circumstances has finally been put away - I cant face splicing yet another donkey top on and the fine 0.5oz quivertip that once proudly quivered away when the gudgeon moved in has been hopelessly shortened to a 2oz version more suitable for a barbel.

Weeman

Reaction score
Drennan bomb rod would be ideal but harder to find in good nick now (tips usually shortened). Still get the odd one on ebay.

The MAP Parabolix is supposed to be a nice bit of kit.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Drennan bomb rod would be ideal but harder to find in good nick now (tips usually shortened). Still get the odd one on ebay.

The MAP Parabolix is supposed to be a nice bit of kit.

Thats right. I have watched a few Drennans go for high prices on ebay (from memory well over £100). Also seen a few others that would be ideal (Tricast, Daiwa etc) but on close inspection can see that the tips have been shortened - but rarely mentioned as such in the description. I suppose if they have push-in or push-over tips it may still be possible to get current replacement quivertips that still fit?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Drennan light feeder springs to mind. I really like mine and prefer it hands down to the im8 bomb rod. Rather than the two fixed tops that the im8 bomb rod has the im6 light feeder has two push in tips stored in a rubber bung in the butt. If a tip does get damaged it's easy enough to replace it with another.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats right. I have watched a few Drennans go for high prices on ebay (from memory well over £100). Also seen a few others that would be ideal (Tricast, Daiwa etc) but on close inspection can see that the tips have been shortened - but rarely mentioned as such in the description. I suppose if they have push-in or push-over tips it may still be possible to get current replacement quivertips that still fit?

The Drennan IM8 Bomb rod would be idea for the purpose that you mentioned.

It came with two separate top sections, one a ½oz tip and the other at ¾oz tip. many of the examples you see on e-bay have been 'shortened' but one that is in perfect condition will sell for good money. Recently a lovely example went for £190 I believe.

I think there were 3 editions of the IM8 bomb rod, and I have one of the originals which has seen a lot of use. Typically I use it on small (intimate) rivers from Roach, Dace and even Chub.

peterjg

Reaction score
I recommend the Shakespeare Mach 2 10ft wand. I bought it for roach fishing on the river Colne, it is very light, thin and sensitive. I have accidently caught barbel to 8lbs on it and it performed great.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
About five years ago I bought a shakespeare sigma wand the new type. Specifically for targetting bream and roach on a lake for match fishing. I won 3 out of the 5 matches I fished. A superb rod and which magnifies the bites tremendously all for around £40 quid.

Terry D

Reaction score
And one for the Daiwa camp, I love my 10ft Connoisseur Z Bomb rod, bought for just that purpose.