any tips for new angler for the coming colder months

tilly05

Reaction score
As the title really, the weathers turning colder, the fish arnt on like they were....
What would be your best tip for a newbie, I'm trying to stay interrsted and sitting freezing for 8hrs with no fish will put me off and not come back!!!
Would you suggest??
Bait, tactics. I tend to be on lakes/ponds. Thanks in advance

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't bother....stay indoors infront of the box eating and drinking warm tea :).

Reaction score
Short trips towards end of day. Look for periods of settled weather - be it settled at 55 degrees or settled at 38 degrees.

Don't know where you are based mate..but have a look at rivers and streams...and canals. Often picked up a couple of nice chub at twilight with bread. And just be out there...even if it does mean freezing the grollicks off for no fish...it's good to get out.

Key thing in winter - (obvious really but if you don't its no fun...and can be lethal)

Keep warm....shops like go-outdoors sell excellent thermally-lined outdoor trousers by manufacturers like craghoppers....buy a pair or two.

terry m

Reaction score
On a serious note the best advice I would give is to invest in a proper winter two piece suit. They really do make a huge difference.

gaz b

Reaction score
Good socks and warm dry boots.

Gaz

Sent from my BlackBerry pudding using my Toe's.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I would be on a river. Fish need to feed through the winter in a river - they use energy holding position against the current. They also shoal up in certain areas more. Before over-stocked commercials, very few fished ponds or lakes in winter except for the pike.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I would be on a river. Fish need to feed through the winter in a river - they use energy holding position against the current. They also shoal up in certain areas more. Before over-stocked commercials, very few fished ponds or lakes in winter except for the pike.

thats interesting I always wondered why people always said some of the best fishing on rivers was in September while on commies it usually starts to decline.

predators , as you say or imply , seem to wake up on canals , is that true , or is that just when people fish for them more ?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
thats interesting I always wondered why people always said some of the best fishing on rivers was in September while on commies it usually starts to decline.

predators , as you say or imply , seem to wake up on canals , is that true , or is that just when people fish for them more ?

Traditionally, after the first autumn spates has cleaned a lot out, weed is also less of an issue on a river. In general fish may also be feeding well to build up reserves for the coming winter. Septemebr is a good month because the leaf fall hasnt started - once you get windy spells in late October/early November and leaf fall is in full swing it can be a pain o the river whether float fishing or ledgering.

The shoaling up in deep water happens in mid-winter. If you can find where the shoals go (if the cormorants havent first) or you can find a warming influence that attracts them, then bumper roach bags can be the reward (or were, once upon a time).

The pike season used to start in earnest on October 1st and still does in some venues. Dont know why winter is productive for them - not a pike angler, but they are at their largest in about February prior to spawning.

cg74

Reaction score

Predators don't wake up with the onset of cold water, they're very active in warm water. It's more that in the case of pike, they're in poor condition so most tend to abstain from targeting them.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Traditionally, after the first autumn spates has cleaned a lot out, weed is also less of an issue on a river. In general fish may also be feeding well to build up reserves for the coming winter. Septemebr is a good month because the leaf fall hasnt started - once you get windy spells in late October/early November and leaf fall is in full swing it can be a pain o the river whether float fishing or ledgering.

The shoaling up in deep water happens in mid-winter. If you can find where the shoals go (if the cormorants havent first) or you can find a warming influence that attracts them, then bumper roach bags can be the reward (or were, once upon a time).

The pike season used to start in earnest on October 1st and still does in some venues. Dont know why winter is productive for them - not a pike angler, but they are at their largest in about February prior to spawning.

Presumably floods also wash some of the smaller fish away , but not in lakes , I remember fishing a commie a while ago , carp only pool and getting millions of bites from very small carp maybe only a couple of inches long, baliff said most would be lost over the winter , I wonder to what ? Though terns , i think they were seemed very active.

Do lake fish go into some kind of dormancy over the winter ? Especially when the ice starts to form, hence winter fishing on commies can be all about casting around with small / single baits and trying to drop it on a carps head.

Canal by me has gone very clear , about a month ago I was amazed to see two jacks next to each other with hundreds of very small fish swimming around them. , right near their jaws , so in answer to the OPS question it all depends where you are fishing.

cg74

Reaction score

Winter is a productive time for predators because as the water temps drop the metabolism of their prey slows, making them an easier target.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Another reason why autumn and winter can be good on rivers is that the small nuisance fish seem to disappear (sometimes at any rate). You could have fished a section all summer and not seen a roach over 6oz, but come mid-winter and you will see the 12oz-1Ib+ fish (if youre lucky)..the only drawback being that there may be many fewer bites unless you have found a shoaling area. Lock cuts, backwaters, deep holes ..those sorts of places out of the flow if it is pushing through.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Winter is a productive time for predators because as the water temps drop the metabolism of their prey slows, making them an easier target.

But the predators metabolism doesn't slow , the old volterra equation in action of course.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score

Spot on.

The fish that get most inactive are the Eurytherms - warm-loving fish like tench and carp whose metabolim slows right down as temperatures drop. Stenotherms like cold water and cannot tolerate warm - trout, salmon those kind of fish. I am sure I read somewhere that Pike, perch and grayling are in between and metabolism is still high in cold water. Of the cyprinids, chub and dace also feed well in winter, roach less so when really cold.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Take a walk along a river for chub when it gets really cold. Light gear, just rod reel net and a small bag for our bits and a small flask. Smelly bait like cheese is good. 15 minutes here and there and slowly you will get to know the river and where the chub lay. Not much point in sitting for hours for these fish generally unless you find a big shoal; usually once one or two are caught they will stop coming but, not always. Bridges are often hold good shoals in the winter especially if there's some deeper water around.
So, enjoy the walk, two or three hours is good on a winters day, blows the cobwebs away and if there's a pub at one end of the walk; even better. One I know does a great sausage and onion pie and then the walk back; cannot beat it on a winters day. If not chub same for spinning for pike if preferred and beats sitting on a lake for hours with no fish freezing the proverbials.

tilly05

Reaction score
Cheer. I'l have a few more go's at local lakes and i know a couple guys who go down the local canal, so some winter piking might be on the cards