Closed Face Reels ?

russell_bush

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm considering a Daiwa 125m for stickfloat fishing. Are there any viable alternatives to it, eg Abu etc ? Thanks.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are a lot of people who swear by closed face reels, the ABU 501, being the iconic stick float reel, is the one that most people remember with fond memories. There are also a lot of folk out there that will not touch a closed face reel with a barge pole!
I myself find closed face reels a pain in the backside and find them to have more cons than pros! If I were you I would get a nice quality open faced reel, I know they are expensive, but I love my Daiwa TDR as it has a nice big spool which lets the line peel of in larger coils, a big boon for stick float fishing :)
Apparently, the new ABU closed face reel is a bag of spanners, so I should keep away from that one if you decide to go down the closed face route.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently, the new ABU closed face reel is a bag of spanners

Not sure where you get that idea from Mark; I have one and it is perfect for what it was designed to do . . . . . . .

If Russell is looking for an all out Stick-float fishing reel then the 706 is as good as most I reckon.

Russell, the link gives a decent description of the rell, how it is made and the handy-dandy placement of the drag control button.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcr64xLUIs]James Robbins presents the new ABU 706 Closed faced reel - YouTube[/ame]

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I have read good and bad about the new 706, the bad being mostly on grounds of build quality compared to the 500 series.

I still use a 506m for nearly all float fishing - except when i am targeting fish over 5Ib. For stick float or waggler in running water its still a joy. Remember not to over fill spool, with as little as 50-60 yards only to help against bedding-in and ideally main lines in the 2-4Ib range work better. Hence why i wouldnt be targeting big fish - but have caught carp and tench to 7Ib+ on fine hooklengths and backwinding with it. Also have a 506 which is virtually identical really, may have a slower gear ratio (only used it couple of times as first reel has never had a problem).

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Peter,
It was a comment a friend of mine made about the reel, he bought one and a few weeks later he said he now knows why they are heavily discounted. He commented that the build quality that ABU were famous for had gone and they were not a patch on the old reels.
I always thought that, being ABU they would be good and I have recommended them to folk in the past even though I had never had a go with one. Sorry Peter, I was not trying to pull you or anyone else down for owning one...Now, if it had been from Dragon Cr@p that would have been a different matter :D :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, if it had been from Dragon Cr@p that would have been a different matte

I totally agree there.

I can only speak as a user of the 706 and its been fine.

I own (I think) 4 501's and a couple of 506's plus a 1044 as well, and I also had a Daiwa 125M a long time ago, no idea where in my garage it is now as I've not used it for yonks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The later Abu reels suffer in comparison to the original 500 series reels. However, being the owner of a couple of 507MK2s, I'm convinced that an awful lot of the knockers simply regurgitate the comments of others without even touching the reels concerned. The bottom line is that you won't match the build quality of the original 500 series, not without the reels costing well in excess of £100 (maybe even more). The 507MK2 is probably closer to the build quality of the old 500 series than the new 506MK2 or 706. Unfortunately, they are a bit portly, the only valid criticism of the 507MK2 I'll entertain. However, when you consider that most will use a closed faced reel for trotting, often with a longer than average rod, that flabbiness isn't always a bad thing.

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

Nice Sam,
But is it not just the 706 without the black spool cover?

It's rather obviously the same basic design but if you read the spiel you'll see that they have supposedly uimproved the gearing and changed the pick up pin(s). Personally, I think it looks horrible, and I own 507MK2 Gold Max!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
When i mentioned the 706 in my last post i realise I meant the new 506MK2 that came out earlier this year. The positive review of it is here: Abu 506 MkII Reel

Wasnt it the 507 and more recent 706 that were supposed to have better larger spool and drags that could work properly with bigger fish?. The original 507 is the sought after model judging by the premium it fetches on ebay (or perhaps it was just rarer).

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its ok these editors applauding these reels but don't they applaud every bit of tackle they review because they dare not say anything else? ;)

Terry D

Reaction score
I have a 706 and a 1044. I've put the bell housing from my 1044 on the 706 because it has double pickup pins - a big complaint with the 706. Has the Mk2 version got double pickup pins? as the blurb just mentions a ceramic coated pin.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a 706 and a 1044. I've put the bell housing from my 1044 on the 706 because it has double pickup pins - a big complaint with the 706. Has the Mk2 version got double pickup pins? as the blurb just mentions a ceramic coated pin.

It's hard to be sure from the limited information available so far. However, I suspect it's a single pin.
Even a read of a thread on another forum isn't particularly enlightening. There's even some confusion as to whether the 706 was available with single or double pins, or even if there were two versions.

No one seems to agree on whether single or double pins are better. Seems to be one of those polarizing points of preference.

GT56

Reaction score
After I’d watched James Robbins several times and taken advice regarding eighty turns when putting line onto the spool, I purchased a 706 earlier in the year and came very close to throwing it in the Trent. The problem was the line going over the front of the spool and winding round the spring etc on the push button mechanism in the winding cup, with the tangle around the spring damaging the line.

When back at home with glass in hand and suitably calmed down, I decided to remove the chenille pipe cleaner thingy on the front of the spool. Then I half filled this groove with a length of rolled PTFE tap and refitted a new piece of spare chenille. I hoped this would increase the diameter of the chenille on the front of the spool making it closer to the inside the winding cup. This reduced gap between the chenille and inside of the winding cup would prevent the line passing over the front of the spool and tangle as before, fingers crossed.

I also decided to try and keep the line under a tad more tension feeling it must have been loose on the spool in the first place to have gone over the front of the spool and this had to be down to me.

Anyway several sessions later all going well and reel is beginning to feel spot on just how I hoped, however early days and not sure if I was the solution or the problem.