bream + tench baits

NEIL MANSELL

Reaction score
i have not gone after bream or tench specifically and am wanting to do so. can anybody recomend baits( groundbait, hook bait, feed) which could get me a few bites from these species.

E

EC

Plain brown breadcrumb for groundbait, colour it/flavour itif you can be bothered with something like liquid molasses from an animal feed suppliers, cochineal orvanilla or something cheap from a supermarket, but there's often no need.

Hookbaits/feed: Take your pick, maggots, casters worms and corn will all definitely work, pellets and small boilies also!

There's no difficulty mate, just make sure your water has a few tench and bream in. Do a bit of research and find outwhat methods work (usually feeder will score well for bream if you are fishing any distance, and margin float fishing s a nice way to catch tench). Don't worry too much about catching smaller fish early on, the tinca's and/or bream will soon follow just keep the feed going in. Don't wander too far from what you find out works, and you'll be sorted!

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Neil justthis last 2 daysI have been using 4mm expanders on my club water. Instead of using water I have used the liquid from a tin of pilchards for the pellet and left them soaking in it over night and Ive had shedfuls of bream and tench with it.

They love it.

I like fresh cockles for bream and tench too.

Catfood liquidised and made into paste fished in the margins as it gets a little warmer really tends to do it for the tench too.

Specihunter

Reaction score
You will find that they can be caught on most carp baits from 10mm to 20mm

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Fishmeal for both

Hemp for tench not as good for bream

I use crumb and fishmeal with small pellets for the bream and add hemp for the tench.

DZ

Reaction score
Watch out with hemp - Tench can get obsessed with it and hence it will often be very difficult to get them to take your hook bait.

Blended/liquidised hemp mix in a ground bait gets a good smell and cloud going though.

I find a variety ofparticlesis the trick with tincas - get them picking up differently weighted morsels and they're easier to catch./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifIMHO

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I find you have to keep chopping and changing baits as they soon seem to stop getting caught on things thst worked at the beginning of season,big breadflake is a sound bait for marginal work early on but you may have to scale things down regarding hooks line and bait as the year progresses.

honslow

Reaction score
The best advice is corn, corn, corn and, yes you got it, more corn.

DZ

Reaction score
Greg you forgot corn

Blended corn and hemp porridge - cupped in match stylee

"Anorak Face"

DZ

Reaction score
You've corn and done it now cakey!

Sorry that was corny
corn.gif

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Fresh cockles or cockles in brine are also wicked. (Not in jars in vinegar/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif).

Casters over hemp.

As someone who watched Grahams bream videos years ago time and time again I would be intrested to read his comments on this question.

Come on Graham. Whats the par exellence slab bait???????

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Risque Manoofus wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Come on Graham. Whats the par exellence slab bait???????</blockquote>

I'm not really a fan of 'best baits' as there are so many variables, especially now we have the boilie, pellet and carpfactor to take into consderation on many waters.

Discounting those though, and if I had to choose just one bait, it would be redworm.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I can't catch em on corn!

maggots....by the gallon.

N

NomadPaul

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

So what's best,

Bream or Tench?

There's only one way to find out......</blockquote>
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGHHHTTTTTTTT...............

E

EC

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

.........maggots....by the gallon.</blockquote>
Brummie is a rich bastid, either that or he has a constant supply of dead things.