Wormery

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope you have all had a good day, and if you haven't i hope it improves.

I would like to build my own wormery but i have absolutely no idea were to start.

Also were do i get the worms i want for my wormery, can i just buy some from the local tackle shop and introduce them, i want to use them for Bream and Tench fishing mainly and i could do with worms that breed well, what do you recommend.

All and any advise will be warmly and greatly received.

Thank you all so very much. /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Deanos

Reaction score
There was a brilliant thread on FM a short while back on building your own wormery Stealph!.

Can any of the regulars sort a thread out for the lad?

Know its here somewhere mate /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Bryan,

When i said that i have absolutely no idea where to start, ireally meant it, could you be a little more specific as to what items i will need?

I take it just a compost bin on it's own doesn't produce red worms, do i put bags of compost in it, or waste material from my house or just plain old mud, sorry for sounding so thick but i am completely clueless when it comes to this. /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Andy M

Reaction score
Dear Stealph, go to the top of this page and where it says KEYWORD type in "Wormery" click on "go" and start to read. If the answer is not in any of those links it probably doesn't exist. Cheers.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Stealph

I have made my wormery in an old recycle bin (the binmen in my area break them by the dozen). There are quite a few worm breeders who will send you a start-up kit through the post. You will need at least a kilo of worms to get going and it'll take at least three months before you can seriously start to pick out a few for fishing.

Try these links to get a rough idea.

Worms Direct

This one is where I got mine from. Better value I thought and a sensible, informative website.

Bucket of Worms

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Put some compost in to start then just keep adding your kitchen waste and tea bags.

Lots of lovely worms and compost for the garden.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Thank you all for your posts, i have found a lot of interesting articles and facts that i didn't even think i would have to consider. /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Paul C

Reaction score
This kit is a bit expensive but very good for giving you very easy access to lots of worms with little effort when you need them and the kit gets you sorted instantly.

wigglers

It's cheaper to just buy the Can O Worms bin, on it's own (£60), but you would need to introduce some worms along with household waste to get it going.

There is a video on that site somewhere which shows you how to set it up, but I can't find it at the minute.

blankety blank

Reaction score
This is all well and good if you want poncy reds and dendras, but what about real man-size lobs?

i collect mine for the local rec at night, and store them in a well drained wooden box, kept off the ground (in case of frost). the box is filled with molehill soil and moss, which the worms seem to like well enough. I've never bothered scouring them in brick dust or sand prior to using them though.

harry main

Reaction score
have a search on talk angling website mate there is some great advice on there

barry dix

Reaction score
I was interested in starting a wormery mainly for the free worms that it would provide but also for the eco way of getting rid of waste, i.e. veg/fruit peelings, tea bags, egg shells, garden clippings, weeds, cardboard, even fluff from the vacuum cleaner. But the draw back is the space to put the bin in out of the way and out of the sun in a small garden, the cost of a purpose made stacking bin and starter pack, and how many worms could you realistically harvest each week?

harry main

Reaction score
barry just look on talk angling website and look for justin case,he has done a great write up on how to do your own wormery,

barry dix

Reaction score
Thanks harry I've read it and will give it a go as I have an old plastic dustbin doing nothing, ballast won't cost much, some soil from molehills if I can find some, a plastic water butt tap, and just the cost of a kilo of dendras, should cost less than £25 for the lot./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

harry main

Reaction score
hats great barry

why dont you go to your local horse riding stables and ask them if you can have a dig around the waste pile you will get plenty from there mate for nothing

hope that helps you