Umbrella recomendations

M

Mark Birchall

I wonder if anyone could suggest a good quality STRONG fishing brolly.
I have owned a wavelock which lasted a season before the splines rusted and fell apart. Bought a cheapy argos job a few months ago which blew inside out @ the weekend which i did expect to be honest. Any suggestions greatly recieved.

G

Gary Wilson

I've got one of the new Preston Innovations Flat Backs Mk.2, brilliant brolly but it weighs as much as the rest of my kit put together!! Cots about ?50 I think...

ron lander

Reaction score
I bought a new wavelock this season and it does not perform as well as the older ones. The cover already has small holes in it (supect from the brambles on the severn). The older wavelock lasted several years. The brotel delux looks a good bet and I'll be looking at purchasing one during the close river season. The brotel is also lighter than the wavelock 50 inch.

K

Keith Miller

Brotel 4.2lbs, Wavelock 4.2kgs.
The weakness on a wavelock is where the support rib meets the main rib. Check different manufacturers products and you will see that they differ in quality of construction. This is where my old wavelock failed. Attempts to repair by welding led to brittle failure due the heat used.

S

Steve Plant

Fox Evolution, one of the best bits of kit I've bought for ages. I got the cheaper "Classic" version. Brilliant for stillwater fishing, plenty room for one or even two anglers plus all gear, easy to erect, but not as versatile on rivers with sloping banks. Lighter than a wavelock brolly although bigger in bulk - best if you use a quiver type holdall for carrying it round.
I've had mine for about 3 years (since they first came out really), only thing I've had to do was spray a few seams with Fabsil a couple of months ago, now its fully waterproof again.
Cheaper version does get condensation on the inside if you do any night sessions under it.

A

alan fox

Mark I BROUGHT A BROLLY FROM ARGUS LAST YEAR USED IT IN ALL CONDITIONS GREAT. ONE PROBLEM YOU HAVE TO TIE THE TOP DOWN IN WINDY CONDITIONS OTHERWISE IT BLOWS INSIDE OUT

R

Richard Drayson

Mark, I posted a new thread on umbrellas last week. You'll find it in the "General" section of the forum.
Also, take a look at the current edition of Improve Your Coarse Fishing magazine.
There's a tackle test on brollies.

A

Ashe Hurst

Try not to get one that snaps in half in a 30 mph wind.