Closed face reels (again)

aebitim

Reaction score
I have an abu 706, its ok. I am looking for another closed face reel and would like something a bit smaller to go on a 12ft stick rod.
It does not need to be abu, any make will do as long as its small, and it works ok.

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi Mate why do you need a smaller reel?
The smaller the reel the smaller the spool is, and the less affective it will be at float trotting. Better is bigger for trotting with a closed face reel something like the ABU 507 or Ryobi techno match, mastermatch
If you really want smaller the abu diplomat is the smallest closed face reel or you could go for a abu 501 or a 506 which would be slightly smaller than your 706
The best closed face reel IMO was the Ryobi by a long way.

aebitim

Reaction score
Hi Mate why do you need a smaller reel?
The smaller the reel the smaller the spool is, and the less affective it will be at float trotting. Better is bigger for trotting with a closed face reel something like the ABU 507 or Ryobi techno match, mastermatch
If you really want smaller the abu diplomat is the smallest closed face reel or you could go for a abu 501 or a 506 which would be slightly smaller than your 706
The best closed face reel IMO was the Ryobi by a long way.

The reason for a small light reel is that the map blank is very light and the 706 is a bit heavy for it. I am not sure spool size makes a huge difference on a closed face as the line comes off the bell which is wider than a fixed spool spool.
How does the ryobi compare weight wise to a 706? I am tempted to try one as many people say they are better than the abu.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Closed face reels are a bit like Marmite or Centrepin reels; you either love them or hate them.

Personally, I've used Abu 500 series reels for a very long time and never had any problems with them at all.

So, I'd opt for the 501 or the 506 myself to go with the lighter 12' rod.

redfin123

Reaction score
Closed face reels are a bit like Marmite or Centrepin reels; you either love them or hate them.

Personally, I've used Abu 500 series reels for a very long time and never had any problems with them at all.

So, I'd opt for the 501 or the 506 myself to go with the lighter 12' rod.

I completely agree with that peter, but i will say i use the 704 and 706 and i dont find them heavy at all and use them for most of my stick float trotting.

cypryphrenia

Reaction score
I have still got a 505 and a couple of 506's and a 706 and weight wise the 706 is by a modest margin the lighter.
I keep them for the days when it is too cold to use a pin which isn't often.
Oh and for the doubters the 706 runs much more freely that either of the other two and the switchable anti reverse is a bonus as well. Whether it will have the sheer longevity of the originals remains to be seen.
However for the vast bulk of the time a pin is a superior trotting tool....or it is in my hands anyway!
Cheers
Alan

trotter2

Reaction score
The reason for a small light reel is that the map blank is very light and the 706 is a bit heavy for it. I am not sure spool size makes a huge difference on a closed face as the line comes off the bell which is wider than a fixed spool spool.
How does the ryobi compare weight wise to a 706? I am tempted to try one as many people say they are better than the abu.

The reason for the bigger spool is you get less bedding in.The 706 is a very light reel lighter than the original 500 series. The advantage of the 501 and 506 is they are bomb proof.
The only lighter smaller reel is the abu diplomat lighter than any of the above, but the spool is very small you you do get more bedding in problems.
The Ryobi is about the same weight as a 706 just bigger same size spool as the 507 there is a couple on ebay have a look mate.:)

balalur

Reaction score
The reason for the bigger spool is you get less bedding in.The 706 is a very light reel lighter than the original 500 series. The advantage of the 501 and 506 is they are bomb proof.
The only lighter smaller reel is the abu diplomat lighter than any of the above, but the spool is very small you you do get more bedding in problems.
The Ryobi is about the same weight as a 706 just bigger same size spool as the 507 there is a couple on ebay have a look mate.:)

I'm afraid that the 706 is the heavier,larger reel and in my opinion worst than the 500 series reels...506M and 503 weigh the same,the difference is made by the aluminium spool in the 503.The 706 spool is made of plastic as is most of the reel;the 706 is smoother but the pick-up pin and the bell are inferior to the 500 series reels...
aebitim try and find out how much the other reels weigh...I understand the need for the right reel to balance your rod-please let us know what you've found!
balalur-albums-tackle-picture3387-abu-706.jpg

balalur-albums-tackle-picture3386-abu-506m.jpg

balalur-albums-tackle-picture3384-abu-503.jpg

balalur-albums-tackle-picture3385-abu-506m-503-706.jpg

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Great post - nice to see those comparisons like that. Im a big fan of the 506M but would consider the 706 for drag options for targeting better chub or tench rather than relying on backwinding as i do when i use that the 506M..

trotter2

Reaction score
Interesting just put the diplomat on the scales 186gm
ryobi 310gm
Not a great deal of difference between the 500 series and the 706 plastic body.
Diplomat clear winner

aebitim

Reaction score
Great stuff, many thanks for the replies. Looks like Ebay and a diplomat, they seem to be less favoured than the 500 series so theres probably a reason....

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes the reason is the bedding in of the line again,not a problem if you feed the line with the left hand like a lot of match lads do when trotting small stick floats

Other reason is because of the small spool on the diplomat it has a very low retrieve rate and is prone to line spin. But the problems are nothing you cannot work around IMO.

Been using closed faced reels since the 70s the only one I constantly use today is the Ryobi techno match

jimlad

Reaction score
I have a 506 and a 706. Yes the build quality is know here near the traditional Swedish built models on the 706 but boy do they perform well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk