fishing for tench

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Have my leave pass signed to go fishing on Thursday, will be fishing for tench on a local pond, would be grateful for any tips , on methods and baits.Hope to try outmy new John Wilson Avon quiver.

J

John McLaren

Hi Tony, depends on the water but in most cases my advice would be forget the quivertip and use the Avon option with float tackle - nothing better for tenching!

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Thanks John , fished this pond about 10 years ago, it was blowing a gale did manage to catch a couple of tench on ledgered meat. Will let you know how i get on.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Tony,

If you can bait up the night before, do it. It makes all the difference.

You dont specify what type of lake you are fishing, but on smaller waters i tend to bait up with dynamite halibut groundbait, crushed hemp, 2-4mm pellets, red maggotsand a tin of corn, then as John says, fish a float over the top with corn on the hook. If there are lily pads, they are usually a good place to try, as are the margins by reed etc. If you have lillies in the margins, that is where I would start.

Something else worth thinking about is tench tend to take smaller baits as the sun comes up, so maybe try amaggotas the sun climbs higher.

Fish with your bait on well on't bottom. I tend to use drennen stillwater blues for close in work with a no 8/ 6 shotsitting just off the bottom, then as a tench takes the bait your float will rise slightly. STRIKE STRAIGHT AWAY. If you need to fish further out, use a drennan drift beater, with a similar shotting patters. I prefer to floatfish like this as I dont need to keep the line tight , like you have to with the lift method. I think the thing to remember is sensitivity, as tench can give the tiniest of indications sometimes.

Hope this helps and have a good day, not much beats tenching at this time of year!!!!

Regards

Marcus

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Marcus, have must of the things on your list just need the pellets, up to me now to put your tips into practice.Will let you know how i get on. Thanks again

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
My first choice would be a float outfit using a Drennan Crystal waggler and 4 or 6lb main(depending on weed conditions) line plus a size 12. Find the margin shelf if present and feed with caster, hemp and maggott. Good Luck!

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Just a few lines to update everybody on my Tench fishing last Thursday. Arrived at 6am, at The Bacon Pond Sherburn in Elemet near Leeds. Choose a swin next to some Lily Pads , baited with 4 large balls of ground bait mixed with sweetcorn and red maggots. 7am had my first Tench, by 11am had 8 tench upto 4lbs , then the float started bobbing up and down on each strike nothing, this went on for an hour , added a No6 shot 6 in from hook, this time i had a lift bite, fish on a 3lb Bream, over the next 3hours had 12 bream to 4 lb. The day turned out to be one of the best Tench and Bream days i have ever had. My thanks to everybody for the tips, a big thank you to Marcus Ballam, your tips were spot on. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Below are a few pics.

tonys_fish_2_001_0.jpg

tonys_fish_2_002.jpg

tonys_fish_2_003.jpg

tonys_fish_2_004.jpg

Azler

Reaction score
well done tony, they are good looking tench, im happy someone is among'st the action, that place is'nt to far from myself and my local tench water at haddlessey suffered a 100% fish kill after the floods last july, its great to think that its still possible to fill your boots with 4lb to 5lb'ers locally (yorkshire), i'd make the most of that place if i was you tony, well done once again!!!

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Tony (forgive me for banging on please everybody) Im enjoyingtench success with home made sardine paste at the minute and it seems to be every water I fish.

I always used to swear by fresh cockles but this paste is without doubt the most effective bait for tench I have ever known.

My mate is no slouch. He just finds paste frustrating.

He fished pellet next to me a couple of weeks ago and we were pegged quite tight together. He weighed his net at 35lb. We couldnt weigh mine but by just counting the fish as they were landed there was approx 120-25lb plus a 16lb carp.

Last week again he fished pellet on another lake and struggled. I struggled too but still took 18lb of tench on sardine paste.

Yesterday we went on yet another lake. I had well over 40lb of tench on the paste and he had 2 fish.

Im fishing it close in either on or just over the shelf on a very light waggler type float. Dead depth. No shot down the line whatsoever but a no.8 back shot so you can sink the line without pulling out of the paste.4s hook to 5lb line. Soft paste.

No loose feed otherwise you get too many fish in the swim and start foul hooking. The paste itself will draw everything in.

Try it mate I honestly think you wont look back and may well have the best summer ever. I hope so anyway. Tight lines.

Tony Hart

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. If you have time, could you give me the bestway to make your paste. Always like to try new baits.Hope to fish the Bacon Pond again this Thursday coming.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Well done on the tench Tony.

I'm glad you found the tips helpful.

Your post has given me a nice warm glow!!!

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
With pleasure. It couldnt be simpler Tony.

Asdas do tins of sardines for 18p a tin. I bought 2 trays on Friday night.

For a good days session I would liquidise 5 tins putting a little water in with them and an extra dollop of tomato sauce to help the motor on your liquidiser.Put it into a 3 pint bait tub and add liquidised bread or instant mash powder or reddy brek or a little fine groundbait . Anything like that in fact to get it to a usable consistency. Just work it well in with a fork.

I work mine so its just hard enough to swing out gently underarm with my rod. If it comes back in then its too hard.

I used to do the same thing with catmeat to good effect but comparing the two the sardine paste kicks the catmeat paste into touch.

Bobs yer uncle mate.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Risque, is it the sardines in tomato sauce?I think your bait is getting a bit of a reputation!It might just be the thing to take Sywell by storm at the fish-in.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Yes Nigel. Oil doesnt work the same at all taking way to long to get down. Im sure it will do well for you wherever you fish.

Lovely bag of fish Tony.