to cold for ruffe?

jackperks

Reaction score
i was fishing on nottingham canal today in the hope of a ruffe, i know theres a few on the beeston lock but none!

Plenty of other species though!

734198_309210229199168_1061274813_n.jpg

i wondered if it was the temperture that had put them off or maybe not the right tactics i tried float fished maggot close to the bottom but thought maybe i should wait til later in the year and try a feeder?

Thoughts?

B

binka

I always thought that Ruffe were a pretty hardy species but not so common these days... maybe you just weren't on 'em, might be wrong though.

It's really nice to see someone setting out to target 'em, the tiny species have some lovely fish amongst 'em and it's good to see folks hold an appreciation.

Nice net of fish in any case, must have been a bit parky out there today.

Martin Salisbury

Reaction score
When I fish Lancaster Canal I'd always catch ruffe even if the coldest of weather.

Worm or a small piece of chopped worm the winning bait.

ravey

Reaction score
That's a tidy catch. Is that a dace in there with the chub/bleak/roach?

I have never seen a ruffe caught in this canal (or the Erewash canal either), or had one from the Trent which the canal is a bypass for.

I fished the Stainforth and Keadby canal a couple of years ago, and had plenty...so it might be you are on the wrong venue. There's plenty of everything else, though.

B

binka

That's a tidy catch. Is that a dace in there with the chub/bleak/roach?

I have never seen a ruffe caught in this canal (or the Erewash canal either), or had one from the Trent which the canal is a bypass for.

I fished the Stainforth and Keadby canal a couple of years ago, and had plenty...so it might be you are on the wrong venue. There's plenty of everything else, though.

I wondered about the dace but it looks like a tidy bleak to me... unless he's sneaked a sprat in there for good measure ;)

I've had plenty of ruffe from the Newark area of the Trent.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
I fished the Oxford Canal at Enslow Wharf and my first fish was a Ruffe. Had about 3lb-4lb of small roach and chub to go with it as well

jackperks

Reaction score
I wondered about the dace but it looks like a tidy bleak to me... unless he's sneaked a sprat in there for good measure ;)

I've had plenty of ruffe from the Newark area of the Trent.

it is indeed a bleak a rarity in its self now days! i was after a ruffe for this

Jack Perks Photography

i heard they dont like flow so maybe try calmer water. there isnt masses of them in there but i've caught them in the past out of there and been told beeston lock is the place for them.

in terms of setting to catch one nottingham isnt the best place but its my local patch so i'm going to keep at it!

cheers

barbelboi

Reaction score
I remember one winter in the 90's my son and I were crossing the GU at Uxbridge after a chub session on the Colne in bitterly cold weather and noticed some familiar faces (friends of ours from Uxbridge Rovers fishing a match). Short version, my son went for a chat with a friend of his and set up a waggler for the half hour we were there - one ruffe, would've come third in the match with that, real brass monkey weather.
Jerry

barbelboi

Reaction score
Where did all the mini species go ? The Colne was alive with gudgeon,ruffe,bullhead,bleak and minners when I was a lad. I get the odd [very] gudgeon and bleak but can't remember the last ruffe I caught.

For a change I had my first ever rudd out of the Colne trotting last October Skippy.
Jerry

bigfish74

Reaction score
Had my 1st and only ruffe from jumbles res in bromley cross bolton around the 1980s corgot all about them to be homest i think its cool some of you guys actually fish for them

Andy