The Upstream Feeder

David Dalton

Reaction score
I have recently finished reading Archie Braddock's book "Fantastic Feeder Fishing", where he describes fishing a feeder upstream with a large bow in the line, and the feeder weighted so that it will start to move if a fish takes the bait.

The impression that Archie gives is that this is an excellent river method that will catch fish much more efficently than a conventional downstream feeder rig.

If it's so good, why do I hear so little of it nowadays? I never hear of it in the angling press, and of my various angling books, only Dave Coster's "Guide To Coarse Fishing" mentions it briefly.

Has anybody else tried it, and do they think it's as good as Archie says?

B

binka

I think that Archie is very much the thinking man's angler from his use of dead maggots many years ago via his own forethought to the bait flavourings he experimented with and pioneered.

The method you refer to isn't an uncommon one and can be very productive but faced with the option of getting above the fish and easily setting the tip against the the flow or delicately balancing a rig that is sitting above you and just holding bottom then I think many would opt for the former, especially considering the "confidence factor".

I've used it on the Trent many times and the hook up happens automatic following the bite as the feeder dislodges and sets the hook for you on it's way downriver.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

It's a fairly common method in fast spate rivers for fishing the upstream rod. Most if not all the barbel anglers I know use it

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is a very effective method some of the bites you get can be a bit odd the rod tip can dance about like a nodding donkey when a fish dislodges the lead or feeder.

chav professor

Reaction score
Its only second to touch ledgering in terms of giving more confident bites... it has the added benefit of being able to tackle features from a different angle.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have had great days on the Thames fishing this method. I have written posts about it dating back to old FM. I call it (as do the majority) critical balance feeder fishing, usually for roach and bream. Some days it will catch bigger roach than you thought existed. Get the really right day and you won't believe the roach you catch as the feeder hits the deck, no need to put the rod in a rest, the bites are so quick.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As others have said it's 'old hat' - I also like to get downstream of the swim then cast with just sufficient weight to hold in the current. When tightening up they’ll be a bit of slack line between the lead/feeder and the tip that will bow. If a fish takes the bait from downstream it will have to take up the bit of slack before it feels the resistance of the tip. If it takes it from upstream it will cause the small weight to move downstream with it giving a slack line bite - in both instances I strike when the line moves.
Jerry

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I don't even bother fishing one stretch of the Derwent in Yorkshire if I can't get away with fishing up-stream.

The best approach for finicky roach and chub.

the dace

Reaction score
Does this ever result in deep hooking or does the weight of the feeder work perfectly to avoid this and hook in the lip?

Archie Braddock - what a character!! Nearly missed my stop on the train this morning whilst reading 'Fantastic Feeder Fishing' - very engrossing :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Get it right and its incredibly effective. Years ago I used to fish the Thames for chub using this method and I'd sometimes spend a while getting the balance exactly right. When you did the bites were unmissable...a nod,feeder dislodges,tip falls back ,pick up the rod and fish on. Don't recall ever deep hooking anything or losing fish...the tension on the line and the weight of the feeder makes it very hard for them to shake the hook free.

peterjg

Reaction score
I totally agree with the previous posts - but I would add that to get the best results from this method the feeder should be 'fixed' with a float stop - a running feeder does not work so effectively.

Andy M

Reaction score
I get the impression that sometimes need to strike, if so which way - upstream or down (and round, if you see what I mean) stream?

chav professor

Reaction score
you need to strike..... sometimes even need to wind into the fish if its dropped a way down stream.

Like most 'infallible' methods - Chub seem to wise up to the idea - therefore best to strike early.

Its a great method if you keep missing down stream bites.... a change of position and a cast upstream just seems to trip them up.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Thanks for the information and advice guys. I'm keen to give this method a try on some of my favourite swims on the Thames, but one other thing I'd like to know - is it a good idea to use a soft, low test curve quiver tip with this method? I'd imagine that a softer tip would bend round more, and so produce a more noticeable bite when it springs straight.

ravey

Reaction score
I first encountered this method in a Coarse Angler article by Bob Roberts (1986?). Colin Dyson was the editor then, and he explained the method to Archie Braddock after Archie complained of missing too many bites on the feeder, and after Bob Roberts had submitted his article. Bob goes into more detail in his own book, "The Complete Book of Legering". The book is no longer available, but Bob has reproduced extracts on his website if you want to look for them.

like many other methods, the upstream feeder (or straight lead) is very good if applied correctly. It opens up parts of the river denied to you by downstream legering. When I used to fish across to the far bank of the Trent for chub in my match days, you could not hold across without using the 'bow'. Feeding out a bow allows you to use the principles of upstream fishing without having to actually cast upstream (not allowed in matches anyway).

Archie gives a good expanation of the method, and is the best chapter in the book in my opinion. It requires plenty of practise to understand the finer points, but is a method well worth learning. Helped me win a fair bit of match money back in the day!

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

The reason it is not mentioned? Few anglers fishing the rivers! Those that do are usually after barbel, where subtlety is not normally an issue. Instead of feeding a bow to limit the amount of lead needed, you can use great big lumps of lead, provided you can throw them the distance required (hence my mention of opening up areas of river you can't other wise target).

There are other advantages to fishing the bow, but if you follow up Archie's book with a look at the Bob Roberts site, you should find what you need.

floyd44

Reaction score
In Archie Braddocks book Fantastic Feeder Fishing it says the following:
Colin (Dyson) told me that the method had been developed by matchman Bob Roberts,who in turn had adapted something he read in a Tom Pickering feature in Course Angler Magazine.
The book is a fantastic read even if a little out of date. I would recommend anyone to go out and buy it.

nicepix

Reaction score
Got to say that when I saw anglers ledgering on rivers it would be 9 to 1 in favour of downstream ledgering. I think that it is easier to chuck out a 2oz lead downstream and tighten into it than spend time balancing the upstream approach, especially with a feeder as you have to balance it when empty. It always seems strange casting an empty feeder.

meat63

Reaction score
I have used this method on my local river for the roach , I could not hit the bites they were too quick so I tried the bow method and couldnt go wrong didnt even have to strike I just wound down to fish , like it has been said perseverence to get the weight and bow just right is the hardest part plus confidence to stick at it , the rest is simple . I found a softer tip does help magnify dropbacks better but if everything is right it doesnt matter too much , too slow a river and I find its harder for the method to work effectively.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Bob would claim to have invented this method though he may have been the first to publicise it.

I was first shown this method in the early 80s by my old fishing partner who used to fish the big open river matches of the 60s and 70s.
He told me it was so effective it was banned in some matches.

The method is also described on pages 90/91 of Peter Wheat's book 'The Pelham Manual of River Coarse Fishing', published in 1969 though to be fair it does talk of upstream legering rather than upstream feeder fishing for shy biting chub.