Mr Crabtree what do you think?

trotter2

Reaction score
Like you just watched the first episode
Tell you what I think I can see Centrepins going up again

Trotter2

beerweasel

Reaction score
I really enjoyed it, what a lucky chap Sam was.
Not too low or high brow, just right.
Nice to see those Hardy Ultralites in action.
Only annoyance was the bloody adverts.

trotter2

Reaction score
I really enjoyed it, what a lucky chap Sam was.
Not too low or high brow, just right.
Nice to see those Hardy Ultralites in action.
Only annoyance was the bloody adverts.

Yes Agree to many ads:mad:

B

binka

Some very nice Tench there at the end and it was good to see such an articulate and enthusiastic young lad enjoying his fishing so much.

A bit as expected on the whole really, a bit flat in places but I enjoyed it generally and will look out for the next episode.

Can't work out why they creep around, whispering in the margins and then have that ratchet sound grinding out though :)

And I didn't mention the Hardy float rods!

Ooops ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
It wasn't too bad at all, I will be watching next week. The only quibble I have is why they felt the need to get the word "Crabtree" into every other sentence. Was it a contractual obligation?

Not the best advert for whatever landing net pole was being used. However, used should probably have "ab" as a prefix.

BTW, which was the sponsored angler?;):D

dangermouse

Reaction score
Enjoyable program, nicely filmed, beautiful scenery, engaging cast, some lovely tench. I liked it.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sam was brilliant, he never played up to the camera and kept his attention on his fishing and the instruction from JB, nice lad, why aren't more kids like Sam?
I thought John was superb too, a very nice amiable guy, we should see more of him on telly!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A bit naff robing the rod off the kid then loosing his fish, he should of just given some verbal advice. Bailey can't cast with a pin !

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't too bad at all, I will be watching next week. The only quibble I have is why they felt the need to get the word "Crabtree" into every other sentence. Was it a contractual obligation?

Not the best advert for whatever landing net pole was being used. However, used should probably have "ab" as a prefix.

BTW, which was the sponsored angler?;):D

Was that a dragon carp landing net handle they were using Sam?
Not hardy and greys surely? JB will be getting his wages docked if he's not carefull!! ;)

trotter2

Reaction score
I think the handle snapped because he in all honesty he tried to lift the fish at full stretch rather than pull the fish straight back them lift the net with both hands LOL

Still it can happen to anyone in the heat of the moment and I will not be the first one or that last to admit to doing just that,:eek::eek:

Very enjoyable viewing IMO.

trotter2

barbelboi

Reaction score
No pipe? No Katie? :wh- apart from that it was quite enjoyable, well filmed and not compressed into too short a time. Sod's law when you do the right thing and give a 'locked up' tench in the pads a bit of slack the few times it doesn't work are when the cameras are rolling - good to see it left in though as we all know what it's like to lose a fish or three.
Jerry
PS He needs to go to SP if he wants to practice on proper pads Jeff;)

little oik

Reaction score
I liked it apart from the ads . I am not sure if I was seeing things but atthe start when he hooked a piece of sweetcorn onto the hook it looked like there was a half inch tag end on the knot that hadn't been snipped off. Did anybody else see this

flightliner

Reaction score
It was nice angling tv but as someone said earlier I dont think he should have taken the rod from the boy when the tench found the pads.
I also thought that the object of the exersize was to fish in the same manner as " Crabtree and Peter" did in the original storyline so for me (just a personal opinion) it was dissapointing to see the boy catching his big tench on modern tackle/baits /rigs etx. I do hope that in future episodes this wont be the case .
Little oik---- yes--- I saw the tag on the hook:(.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
it was dissapointing to see the boy catching his big tench on modern tackle/baits /rigs

I've not seen it yet (recorded) but if the program is supposed to be informative and encourage and teach more people to fish, it will have to use reasonably modern equipment. Can't see many beginners going out and buying split cane and centrepins (or even glass fibre and Mitchells:eek:)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some very nice Tench there at the end and it was good to see such an articulate and enthusiastic young lad enjoying his fishing so much.

A bit as expected on the whole really, a bit flat in places but I enjoyed it generally and will look out for the next episode.

Can't work out why they creep around, whispering in the margins and then have that ratchet sound grinding out though :)

And I didn't mention the Hardy float rods!

Ooops ;)

Why did he have the rachet on in the first place why was he not teaching him to use the palm of his hand or his thumb.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bailey had better be carefull, if he keeps cuddling youngsters like that he might be the next Jimmy Savel LOL.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I also thought that the object of the exersize was to fish in the same manner as " Crabtree and Peter" did in the original storyline so for me (just a personal opinion) it was dissapointing to see the boy catching his big tench on modern tackle/baits /rigs etx. I do hope that in future episodes this wont be the case .

I'm not sure where people have got this idea from, but it seems pretty prevalent. All the trailers and advertising I saw didn't hint at that. It's as I expected, a modern adult with kid fishing program.

Quest TV | Shows | Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing

Personally, I'm pleased that it's not the nostalgia trip that so many seem to have wanted and expected. The fact that the young lad, using modern methods, trounced the experienced old head, using modern kit but old (but updated) methods, speaks volumes to me. I can't help but thinking that the split cane enthusiasts are going to have to dust down their VHS copies of A Passion For Angling to get their fix.

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree I can not see people rushing out and buying cane rods. But dont forget when Passion of angling hit the screen centrepins went up in price virtually over night. Could be a helping hand for Hardys right on cue?