Increasing the audience while retaining crediblity

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Trust no-one minds me hijacking Bottle Rocket's idea but it seemed to good to not debate, here's his original quote:

'Ok How would you present angling on TV for a wider audience whilst keeping some sense of credibility?'

On the subject of quotes, as Ron's posted today I hope he isn't offended if I use his catchphrase "What do you think?"

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
When and Where did Ron post?

To my mind it would have to have some celebrity input

A bunch of c rated celebs learn fishing skills from top anglers

not sure it's kept it's credibility

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do not think it is possible to keep everybody happy it would not be one thing or the other It is not possible To keep all anglers happy without joe public so what chance of both SILCH in my book.

mick b

Reaction score
Certainly the first thing would be not to get Bob James involved!
Just imagine what the red tops would make of him trying to rebuild his image on the back of some TV programme.

Getting long haired blondes or tv celebs involved in an angling programme would be a total disaster.
Good anglers who are excellent communicators introducing normal people, especially youngsters to angling would be the way to go.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why would you want to get more people involved?
Forums are littered with threads where people are complaining about over-pressured fish and overcrowded fisheries, surely if more people got involved that would exasperate the problems.
I am happy with the status quo thanks.

C

chefster

Why would you want to get more people involved?
Forums are littered with threads where people are complaining about over-pressured fish and overcrowded fisheries, surely if more people got involved that would exasperate the problems.
I am happy with the status quo thanks.

Very negative thought...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It would have to have an X FACTOR type of format to reach the populous...
You could team it up with 'I'm A Celebrity, get me our of here' and have a load of wallies fishing miles from anywhere and the ones that don't get enough votes have their tackle smashed up and are forced to eat their own maggots!

Template - A Passion For Angling, only stars to include - sensible, likeable, law-abiding anglers (although not much wrong with Chris)

You have to reach out to the non-angler, difficult when they cannot appreciate what catching a fish reallly means. So you're left with pretty pictures.

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The Fishing Race? I think that was what it was called in the 1970's. Prize was the Golden Maggot! Seem to remember Terry Eustace fishing in a pond in London Zoo.:eek:

I think the formula was teams of a top angler and an angling 'celeb' had to catch as many species as possible.

Does anybody remember it? Appologies if my memory hasn't got this quite right. I think that it may be more in tune with today's 'reality' and 'celeb' culture than it was 40 years ago. Helen Flanagan in waders anybody?

Stu

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I think fishing is simply not a spectators sport unless you fish.

There have been some programs made which non-anglers enjoy watching on telly, but that doesn't mean that they will go out fishing the next day. Passion for Angling is one and my misses likes watching John Wilson, but she does not like fishing, or sitting watching me and my daughters fish.

People have to go fishing to get hooked.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Why do we even want to increase the Audience?

We should be increasing the interest in those to Partake in fishing, that way the amount of people who would watch fishing on TV would naturally increase as they would now be fisher people (just to be politically correct) :D

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Why do we even want to increase the Audience?
Reasonable point Steph, only reason I can put is to try to get some understanding and tolerance from the vast majority of urban based voters who don't fish. I don't believe that most people really wanted hunting banned, they just didn't care one way or the other and still don't. I believe that eventually that will be our fate, banned through indifference exploited by fanatics. I hope not in my lifetime though.

Stu

guest61

Reaction score
The original post on the Crabtree thread was made after reading the general response from anglers about the Crabtree programme.

I'd like to think with all of the channels available, angling has a place on TV. there are a number of formats that have been tried but in order to succeed and avoid product placement heavy programmes, I feel that angling needs to develop its appeal to the wider audience. A TV production requires money and money is easier to come by if the audience could be increased.

So what would be the the format be? How could the technical content on tackle and tactics be balanced with the natural world and pastorial camera shots of the countryside plus the 'entertainment' values required by TV? Who would you see presenting it?

Someone mentioned the 'Golden maggot' from the 70's as a child I can remember watching this with the family and we all engaged in it and enjoyed it, but this has been done.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Fat Blokes Go Fishing

The Only Fishing is Essex

Bargain Fishing (where blokes buy antique tackle and go fishing)

Our Gypsy Anglers

Cowboy Tackle Cupboard Builders

Superfat v. Superskinny Fishing Matches

(Sorry to anyone overweight, travellers, and all those living in Essex, but these programmes seem to be the trend these days - CHEAP!)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The Fishing Race? I think that was what it was called in the 1970's. Prize was the Golden Maggot! Seem to remember Terry Eustace fishing in a pond in London Zoo.:eek:

I think the formula was teams of a top angler and an angling 'celeb' had to catch as many species as possible.

Does anybody remember it? Appologies if my memory hasn't got this quite right. I think that it may be more in tune with today's 'reality' and 'celeb' culture than it was 40 years ago. Helen Flanagan in waders anybody?

Stu

Yes I do - you took the words right out of my mouth , as I remember it was on about 6:30 at night , mind you there were not so many channels in those days , but I remember me and my old man watching it.

If you abandon credibility completely what about Angling superstars a series of angling related tasks such as furthest cast , or cast into a bucket at 50 yards leading to a first one to catch 50 fish relay race at a commercial.