The Ruffe Divide

R

Ron Clay

In some parts of England this magnificent native species is call "Tommy Ruffe" in others it is "Daddy Ruffe" then there are those who call it the "Pope".

How do you call it in your area? I call it a "Tommy Ruffe" - Rotherham.

Lets establish the Ruffe divide.

G

Gary Knowles

Its called a 'tommy Ruffe' in Lancashire and Cheshire, and a little b*stard on Lake Bala, due to its habit of smashing the quiver tip round, making you think you've missed the bite, then finding your size 18's hook totally out of sight..

S

Shrek

I'm from Coventry and have always known it as a Daddy Ruffe.

C

Curly

In Walsall, it's called a Daddy Ruffe. Haven't caught one for a few years now. The last one I caught was on the River Severn at Bridgnorth.

L

Laurie Harper

It's also known as the Polly. For further information about this fascinating and much maligned species, suggest you check out "Daddies Sauce", the newsletter of the short-lived and mysterious Ruffe Study Group. I have a copy or two lying around if you'd like one.

P

Paul Williams

In Dudley this magnifecent native species is called a "A bit of ruffe".

F

Fred Bonney

Paul,not trying to add a bit of comedy,are you?
When I used to catch them in the Chelmer in Essex,they were Tommy Ruffe. In the Grand Union at MK,I asked a young lad what he'd caught,he said,"a pastie looking perch"so I assume thats what they call them here,being a new city,a new name.

F

Fred Bonney

According to my copy of Key to the Fishes of Northern Europe, they have been known to grow up to 11 3/4 inches and weigh 1lb 2ozs and at one time ruffe fishing, for food, was important in eastern Europe.

M

Malcolm Bason

Horrible looking ruddy things are called Daddy Ruffe's round here!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
On the Grand Union at Hemel Hempstead, opposite the Fishery pub, there is a silt trap that the river Bullbourne has to go through before it joins the canal for a short while. This silt trap is still full of them apparently.

Thanks Carp Angler I was beggining to doubt me memory.

R

Ron Clay

The Miller's Thumb or Bullhead is s different species to the Ruffe. The Millers's Thumb is called the Sculpin in USA.

There does, however seem to be a dearth of both species these days. Quite frankly I havn't caught a Ruffe in 6 years.

Are they dying out I wonder?

D

disco dan

I have caught daddy ruffe from the river
anker in tamworth staffs about 2 years ago but not by design.

M

MALC DOYLE

I live in Rugby now and annoy every one round here by calling them POPE whereas they all call em RUFFE but i do originate from Reading so that proberly explaines it.