Need some convincing

frothy

Reaction score
I've recently been dabbling with a centre pin again after more than twenty years of abstinence! and I'd be happy if I was half as competent as I was as a young lad:eek:mg:. Im starting to get a feel for it again but I'm just not convinced its really offering me any real benefits...does it really give any better presentation than holding back with a closed face or fixed spool??? I'm struggling to see that it does, I know people say that holding back on a spool is more erratic in presentation but I'm starting to think its more a case of people trying to convince themselves? I find it impressive watching people who are masters of the pin so to speak but are the using them at the expense of fewer fish on the bank...

Last edited:
C

chefster

Cant we just have sub heading for centerpins so everyone can go on there and talk about the good old days-......

sam vimes

Reaction score
As the resident pin sceptic, I'd still say that a pin can offer far greater control of the speed of a trotted float than either open or closed face fixed spool reels. That may, on occasion, be enough to put extra fish on the bank. Sometimes it won't make much difference and the negatives may impinge on catch rates.

As far as I'm concerned, float speed control is the single most positive aspect of the centrepin. The problem is that it comes at the expense of other aspects of fishing. However, a real master of the pin may reduce the effect of some of the negatives while retaining the positives.

Phil Hatton 2

Reaction score
As a self confessed pin fanatic I have to say I prefer to trot with a pin. However there are times when I think a fixed spool has the edge. The retrieve on a very long trot would be one. Having said that, I find that playing a big fish a pin gives me a degree of control even the finest clutch can't match.

trotter2

Reaction score
I think its swings and roundabouts one may have the edge over the other on a particular swim or style of fishing. Keep an open mind on the subject and above all else enjoy your fishing. If for what ever reason you are struggling with a pin change. John Wilson does not advocate one reel for every single type of fishing and that is something which I would endorse.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As a self confessed pin fanatic I have to say I prefer to trot with a pin. However there are times when I think a fixed spool has the edge. The retrieve on a very long trot would be one. Having said that, I find that playing a big fish a pin gives me a degree of control even the finest clutch can't match.

Totally agree....I use a pin as often as I can for no better reason than I enjoy doing so. There are times when they are a right royal PITA and times when I should use a f/s but don't. I just like using them and that's enough for me....to suggest they are better is to miss the point. Sometimes they are,sometimes not but for me the pleasure I get from simply using one outweighs any disadvantage.

frothy

Reaction score
If for what ever reason you are struggling with a pin change. John Wilson does not advocate one reel for every single type of fishing and that is something which I would endorse.

I only use one occasionally, maybe I need stick with it for a while...I always seem to go back to closed face as I never seem to have any issue with them yet most people I fish with are not keen.

bigfish74

Reaction score
Do what i do fake 2 rods cover all angles then simples :D

Andy

chav professor

Reaction score
Like all tools - some are better at some jobs. You can trot with a fixed spool - some of the best in the business do - which must say something!

Personally prefer a pin for trotting, only as it seems more natural to me. For direct control using fine lines on big fish, I find it a great way to give line or take line in an instinctive way. Once again, others have no problems using a fixed spool in similar circumstances. If its a question of simple skill - I am not sufficiently skilled with a fixed spool to achieve the same presentation.

Find something that works for you and stick with it?.... The fixed spool reel is arguably the most versatile tool, but the pin still has benefits/advantages hence its resilience in terms of simple design. They haven't changed much - better still, fancy a dabble - pick up a very usable pin cheap these days.

guest61

Reaction score
I've recently been dabbling with a centre pin again after more than twenty years of abstinence! and I'd be happy if I was half as competent as I was as a young lad:eek:mg:. Im starting to get a feel for it again but I'm just not convinced its really offering me any real benefits...does it really give any better presentation than holding back with a closed face or fixed spool??? I'm struggling to see that it does, I know people say that holding back on a spool is more erratic in presentation but I'm starting to think its more a case of people trying to convince themselves? I find it impressive watching people who are masters of the pin so to speak but are the using them at the expense of fewer fish on the bank...

I like fishing with a centrepin, but I often see a lot of hyperbole written about them and their use. In my experience when trotting and especially when holding back the relationship between rod and float - setup and shotting, has far more of an effect than the reel, yes - a centrepin will deliver line smoothly, but so will a properly set up fixed spool / closed face reel - there's a lot more to successful trotting than a centrepin, pleasant as it is.

Last edited: