PB Chub.

cg74

Reaction score
I'm not interested in the weights, just curious what bait and technique you used to catch your PB chub(s).

My PB fell to a tiny lump of cheese paste (size 14 or 16 hook) fishing a waggler.

My second best was on Mini Meaty Bites luncheon meat, bouncing it around under a under-cut bank, using one BB and SSG shot on a link.

Third place succumbed to a boilie wrapped in a oily pellet based paste, fishing a light lead, bounced under a large partially submerged branch/raft (not a bolt-rig).

Forth and fifth bests were caught using a grip mesh feeder, feeding mashed stale bread and a big lump of flake on the hook.

csmith10

Reaction score
Mine came many years ago free lining a piece of sliced ham I pinced from one of my sandwiches

jimlad

Reaction score
Raw steak, swan shot link ledger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Never had a 7 (possibly because I rarely use static baits for chub) but at least 50 over 6 on trotting/free lining - caster/maggot/bread/lobs/slug and bouncing neat blue cheese.
Jerry

nicepix

Reaction score
All my biggest chub have come to the fly.

Harlington_Chub-1.jpg

That one was on a nymph cast across the river upstream of a bush after I saw it charging around chasing something, probably dragon fly nymphs.

I've also had some decent ones on epoxy minnows sight cast to them and allowed to drift back and around late June they congregate in the shallows and will take Woolly Buggers skated across the gravel rapids.

Simon K

Reaction score
All the 7s (with one exception on single maggot/inline feeder) and 8s to boilie.

Some of the early 6s came on maggot and one to worm, but there were more fish around then.

I stopped using maggot when the fish-kill did for the shoals about 5 years ago.

aebitim

Reaction score
My best chub came from the Thames, about 15 of them, biggest might have been a couple of pounds, I was 14 and it was the first time I had got it right. They soon went away when I ran out of maggots to feed.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
PB on a single red maggot trotted under a 8AAA float. Other notable chub on very similar tactics.

Plus a couple of 7's on the Black Cap maggot feeder, single rubber maggot on a very, very short hooklink (but they almost don't count). :eek:mg:

bigfish74

Reaction score
Double bronze maggot under an avon bjt then agai what better way to fish

Andy

chav professor

Reaction score
Single maggot kind of free lined using a BB shot... It was interesting actually witnessing the odds against success. There were two fish of approximately the same size. In the water it was hard to judge their actual size.... They just looked a lot bigger than the other 10 or so other fish.

The bigger fish didn't compete anything as hard for bait as the smaller fish. Could have ledgered a bait 'blind' and most likely caught a nice '4' and felt I'd had a nice result.

Bigger fish have to eat... and the obvious logic is that they have to eat more.... Perhaps they are just that bit more careful about how they go about it.

Also seen a genuinely large Chub (in the company of a good chub angler).... we were fish spotting in the close season and I put out a bed of feed (pellets, hemp, sweet corn and crushed/whole boilies). It never settled on the bed of food - if anything its behavior was erratic. It betrayed its presence by shooting out from under the raft and bolting back again. It did this three times in the space of an hour. I never did see that fish again (despite numerous attempts) and predictably not when I had a rod in hand..... I did get two 'fives' and a handful of fours from that swim over the course of a few weeks - but that killed it.....

Perhaps its in the knowledge that fish that could easily challenge a PB is what provides the motivation....... Big Chub are hard to catch for numerous reasons - namely far fewer of them and they are damn cautious.... Throw in a bit of pressure on rivers were plenty of people target them? The odds are massively against it..... Hats off to the Stour and Lea boys that make it look too easy!

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Biggest with a ledgered tiger nut.other notables with flake, maggots and steak.

OOPS! Forgot to mention a lot of stillwater chub on mackerel strips.

Last edited:

reeds

Reaction score
Breadflake on a link leger and quivertip rod for me, fishing over mashed bread.