River wye

aebitim

Reaction score
I fish it now and then, based in Dorset, which is not a lot of good for cost sharing, where and when are you thinking of going?

Tom Leuchter

Reaction score
Looking to do a trip to the wye! Is there anybody from south England who might want to go there?

Hi there , i can go any time until the end of the season, what kind of fishing do you do.

Barbel or roach chub and dace or both.

Kind regards

Tom leuchter

aebitim

Reaction score
The Wye is a triksy one to call, the second time I fished it it rose 8ft in 3 hours. I will try and get down there in March if the weather lets up but it will be a short notice dash and splash effort.
Chub barbel roach, if it swims I fish for it, except pike which the river is also famous for.
Location is important as different stretches have different fish. Did have a 12lb bream on one trip. Have you fished it before?

Tom Leuchter

Reaction score
No I have never fished it, march is ok for me.
I like trotting for chub,roach,dace,barbel as well as feeder fishing. Fished the Kennet a lot years ago, when there were not so many barbel anglers. I now fish for big perch and trotting for roach and dace on the lower Thames,as well as sea fishing and game fishing abroad

Tom

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Do you fish the Hampshire Avon,stour or the nadder at all. I also fish the Itchin for grayling.

Tom

aebitim

Reaction score
Might be better to wait until next season for the trotting, the Wye can be a beast of a river unless we get really lucky, most likely tactic in March is 4-6 oz leads and 2.25 rods
Used to fish the Kennet a lot as I am originally from Reading, have fished the Itchen a fair bit and fish both the Avon and Stour.
If you give woodies tackle a ring, Woody is helpfull, also have a look at the Wye and Usk foundation website, if you havnt already.

B

Berty

The Wye is a triksy one to call, the second time I fished it it rose 8ft in 3 hours. I will try and get down there in March if the weather lets up but it will be a short notice dash and splash effort.
Chub barbel roach, if it swims I fish for it, except pike which the river is also famous for.
Location is important as different stretches have different fish. Did have a 12lb bream on one trip. Have you fished it before?

WOW!!!!!!......thats the biggest bream i have heard of from the Wye in 40yrs of fishing her!

aebitim

Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!......thats the biggest bream i have heard of from the Wye in 40yrs of fishing her!

There is a report of a 12lb 4oz bream from Wyastone leys on the Wye and Usk site (page 4) Mine was further up above Hereford.

aebitim

Reaction score

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Ive not fished that far up, isnt that the area where they did all the habitat restoration a few years ago?
It's ongoing all over the river. Literally hundreds of thousands of pounds have been spent but opinions vary as to wether it is/was money well spent or not. Even highly informed local experts vehemently disagree. This river is so powerful, a stretch can change almost out of recognition in a year - twenty foot deep pools one year become 6 ft deep the next and vice versa etc. A fascinating challenge, it's going to take me a while to get my head around it.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Geoff,

You are right about the river changing but in my experience it doesn't change that much.

During the 80s and 90s I paddled and steered the 100 mile race from Hay to Chepstow 11 times and tbh my racing lines hardly changed from year to year.

Everyone thinks of the Wye as the last big wild river in Britain but the truth is it has been engineered for several hundred years, originally for navigation and from the 1800s for salmon angling as testified by all those lovely old croys which the old river keepers must have spent vast sums of money to build.

It was common practice for farmers to dump trailer loads of old concrete and brick from demolition jobs into areas of erosion to try and protect their acreage and that does still go on in the dead of night today. This practice can alter the flow and scour new channels but on the whole the river remains fairly consistent from year to year.

aebitim

Reaction score
It's ongoing all over the river. Literally hundreds of thousands of pounds have been spent but opinions vary as to wether it is/was money well spent or not. Even highly informed local experts vehemently disagree. This river is so powerful, a stretch can change almost out of recognition in a year - twenty foot deep pools one year become 6 ft deep the next and vice versa etc. A fascinating challenge, it's going to take me a while to get my head around it.

Always amusing watching trees, sheep and the occasional shed floating past when the river is high. Spent a fair bit of time in the Hay area post foot and mouth reclaiming the hefts on the Cats Back and Black mountain between Craswall and Longtown and dangled a bit courtesy of the farming community, seems the river is a very different beast up there, once it passes Bredwardine it becomes much heavier it seems.
The Natural England contracts supervisor was involved in a large scale habitat project aimed at the brown trout, I forget the details but remember LLanthomas being mentioned.
Fantastic river apparently every inch it rises is the same volume of water as the flow of the kennet, not surprising that it changes quickly.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The Natural England contracts supervisor was involved in a large scale habitat project aimed at the brown trout, I forget the details but remember LLanthomas being mentioned.

It must have worked 'cause we've got lots of them! :)