Okuma centrepin rod

aebitim

Reaction score
Looking around the American sites I have come across a centrepin rod by Okuma which is 13ft 3in and rated to 8lb line. There are 2 versions, one with slip rings [my preference] and one with a winch reel seat.
Has anybody got any experience of Okuma rods?
Have got barbel in mind, and already have a couple of decent trotting rods but none specifically designed for a pin. Any thoughts chaps.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What is the difference between a normal rod and a rod designed specifically for use with a pin?

Usually the ringing/ring spacing. Some rod builders will put the butt ring much nearer the reel if they know a centrepin is going to be used. The most extreme example I've seen is this which has the extra ring to facilitate casting.

nicepix

Reaction score
Peter, there are different ways to cast using a centrepin. One way particularly with light tackle is to draw loops of line from between the rod rings. Obviously the more rod rigs there are within easy reach the more line can be pulled off ready to cast. In the 1960's some rods had up to four rings on the butt section so that you could have a loop in each finger.

aebitim

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, was wondering what the difference with a centrepin rod was. Can Wallis cast enough so dont need the extra butt rings. I use a pin for 20% of my fishing so not that desperate for a rod.

hooklineand sinker

Reaction score
These are Steel Head Rods some examples can be found on the Arnold Kingpin site which exports a lot of it,s reels to the U S A and Canada the main difference bettween these float rods and what we call float rods is they have much shorter handels and can be even cast overhead try doing that with an ordinary float rod and center pin. Other than that they would be classed as a Power/Distance rod this side of the pond .

aebitim

Reaction score
These are Steel Head Rods some examples can be found on the Arnold Kingpin site which exports a lot of it,s reels to the U S A and Canada the main difference bettween these float rods and what we call float rods is they have much shorter handels and can be even cast overhead try doing that with an ordinary float rod and center pin. Other than that they would be classed as a Power/Distance rod this side of the pond .

B*gg*r now youve got me interested again.

barisaxman

Reaction score
Usually the ringing/ring spacing. Some rod builders will put the butt ring much nearer the reel if they know a centrepin is going to be used. The most extreme example I've seen is this which has the extra ring to facilitate casting.

Should be very careful with that rod...its build in Midsommer Norton, it'll probably murder you!:wh:D

Last edited: