Center pin spin rate question? Well, it is a different question !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have just bought a cheap center pin off eBay; less than a tenner; it is not a known make but, cheap and cheerful suits me. If I bat the rim as hard as I can three or four times and time the amount of time the spool free wheels; it is just over 40 seconds. How does this compare with expensive reels?

pinuser1

Reaction score
whats more important on a decent pin is the amount of inertia to start her rolling,the less the better,i have one or two that will start rotating with as little as 1 bb on line. although 40 seconds sounds a reasonable spin time as long as it has a lite take off,but for less than a tenner dont supposed you will be that bothered, get out and enjoy

nicepix

Reaction score
You can get over 2 minutes from some reels but it doesn't matter that much in fishing terms. As long as the reel turns smoothly without catching and is balanced it is good enough for fishing,

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you like something that spins well, buy yourself a gyroscope hours of fun.:wh

frothy

Reaction score
Hold it horizontal and blow on the spool to see if it will start to rotate, hold the body with one hand and rotate it and see if the spool remains in the same position. I'm no expert on pins but I watched some guy at a tackle fair testing them this way and was a collector so I can only assume he had some idea...

nicepix

Reaction score
The obsession with how long a centrepin will spin was somewhat fueled by the introduction of the 'Reynolds' reel that was one of the first if not the first to use bearings. Until that time the Match Aerial and its predecessors were regarded as being the smoothest trotting reels.

Harry Reynolds used to make the reels in his shed then travel to Sheffield where he would sell them in pubs to match anglers. Part of his sales demonstration was a head to head spin test with the best of the true centrepins. The new Reynolds bearing reels ran longer and required less start up inertia than conventional reels of the day.

Reynolds reels were very highly regarded and because they were hand made he could make the reel exactly as you required 4 1/2" or 5", handles or no handles, ratchet or no ratchet. He would even put serrations in the drum if you wanted a bit more to grip on.

The reel became known as the Stanton and latterly the Adcocks Stanton as the 'company' for what it was passed into different hands. In 1984 the reel seat was improved and more recently the original chrome bearings that were prone to rust if you put the reel away wet were replaced with sealed stainless bearings and these days have hi-tech lube that allows the reel to remain free running at temperatures well below freezing. This is a selling point to North American anglers who use the reel for steelhead fishing. Reel seats were notoriously difficult to make and many pre-1970's reels from all sorts of companies had seats that we would think strange today. The Reynolds and early Stanton models are extremely collectible today.

With so many variations on what looks like the same reel from the 1960's to the present day it is easy for those who don't know what they are looking for to buy something that they don't appreciate.

A good Stanton reel from 1984 onwards, with the improved reel seat can be had for under fifty quid and with a service and bearing change at the factory you will still have change from £100. If you are looking for a lightweight reel that spins for ever its worth considering as long as you know what to look for.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have two stantons in black 4 in and 4 1/2 inch and they both spin for 14 h'rs...at least !!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you like something that spins well, buy yourself a gyroscope hours of fun.:wh

Could have been worse, you could have said "go and spin on this" --, your forgiven.

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Make it stop, please? Someone? Anyone?

Send me a fiver and I will delete this thread. deal or no deal.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Well, i have tried some of these tests and it failed . I suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day; fair enough. Still for less than a tenner it is not a bad reel. It is on the heavy side not being of top quality materials and engineering but, it balances nicely with the rod I intend to use it with which is an old heavyset rod.

theartist

Reaction score
I have just bought a cheap center pin off eBay; less than a tenner; it is not a known make but, cheap and cheerful suits me. If I bat the rim as hard as I can three or four times and time the amount of time the spool free wheels; it is just over 40 seconds. How does this compare with expensive reels?

Mark, Is it that big black thing that is £9.99 brand new called Shadowlanda or something weird like that? If so they are 6in (some are even 8in i think) so 40 secs of that will wind a similar amount to 60 secs of a 4in pin. But like Pinuser said in the 1st reply its how quick it gets off the mark thats more important. I'm tempted to get one as a cheap back up for when on holiday.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are some on here that have to justify the reason they bought a centrepin by putting a video on you tube and show how long the thing spins for, why? it proves absolutely nothing, any fool can give a reel a good spin and time how long it lasts, it shows nothing of the reels actual performance! It is the start up inertia that shows a centrepins true worth!

nicepix

Reaction score
There are some on here that have to justify the reason they bought a centrepin by putting a video on you tube and show how long the thing spins for, why? it proves absolutely nothing, any fool can give a reel a good spin and time how long it lasts, it shows nothing of the reels actual performance! It is the start up inertia that shows a centrepins true worth!

A reel's start up inertia is largely dependent on there being little friction. The lightest spool in the world won't start turning if there is friction.

Obviously you are referring to my video of the Okuma Trent. What it proves Mark is that your comments about not being able to disengage the drag on that reel are nonsense. It shows that the reel is suitable for trotting as well as having a dual use. And everybody who has seen the video knows that and the reason I posted it.

As for whether the spin time of a reel is a measure of its performance then again you are mistaken. If the reel only ran for a second or two before stopping then it would show that it was not suitable for purpose. A long spin time is only one part of the equation though. As is start up inertia and balance. If you start the reel turning as the line tightens as many experienced anglers do then the start up inertia is less important than whether the reel continues to turn without friction.

All this continual sniping at the Trent or whatever reel I use is not only pi$$ing people off but it shows you and your mate for what you are.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All this continual sniping at the Trent or whatever reel I use is not only pi$$ing people off but it shows you and your mate for what you are.

At least he's got m8's :p

Nicepix, if you hadn't put a video on youtube calling Mark and myself trolls there wouldn't be any aggro. I think that proves beyond reasnable doubt that you are the troll...or failing that your deffo wierd.
Any decent person wouldn't do a trick like that. I think I might just make one about you...would you like that ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Can you lot please give up spoiling every other thread with this tripe.
Some of you need to look up what trolling is because it's exactly what you are doing. You lay bait, act gleefully when the intended victim bites and then you try to play the victim. Get a grip.:rolleyes:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark, Is it that big black thing that is £9.99 brand new called Shadowlanda or something weird like that? If so they are 6in (some are even 8in i think) so 40 secs of that will wind a similar amount to 60 secs of a 4in pin. But like Pinuser said in the 1st reply its how quick it gets off the mark thats more important. I'm tempted to get one as a cheap back up for when on holiday.

Yes it is, I actually got it for £7 something plus postage. I bought it because I read a bit from some angler who seemed to know what he was talking about and said it was quite good. He particularly liked the fact that the handles can be extended. When batting the reel the handles protrude about 1/4 inch and can be pulled out to 1/2 inch when playing a fish. It also has an anti reverse ratchet as well as the normal ratchet although I cannot see what use this would be. However, for a cheap reel and something that is not pretty (no problem, neither am I, but I function fairly well), I think it is very good value. I bought the 6inch version but I think I would have rather had the 5inch. I believe there is a 4 inch version as well. Still, all in all not bad and as just a back up, good value if you wanted to watch the pennies.

no-one in particular

Reaction score

You're probably right there Mark and I guess this reel is not very good in the inertia department. I doubt it would suit a serious trotter of the float or an angler who does not mind his pocket. However, for someone like me who fishes mainly slow rivers and lakes who tends to lay on mostly and who only occasionally trots and does not want to spend a lot of money on another reel I think it would suit many anglers.
As to the spin rate, a crude method but, I feel it does give some indication of the quality of the engineering of the reel for want of a better quick way of judging this.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You're probably right there Mark and I guess this reel is not very good in the inertia department. I doubt it would suit a serious trotter of the float or an angler who does not mind his pocket. However, for someone like me who fishes mainly slow rivers and lakes who tends to lay on mostly and who only occasionally trots and does not want to spend a lot of money on another reel I think it would suit many anglers.
As to the spin rate, a crude method but, I feel it does give some indication of the quality of the engineering of the reel for want of a better quick way of judging this.

The Okuma Trent (by the way the names Trent and Sheffield are nothing to do with this country!) is a very well made reel (like all Okumas) and it is finished to a high standard its just that the star drag has not been thought out very well at all and to put it behind the spokes is a bit silly as it makes it hard to get too, a bit dangerous too!
The reason this reel did not sell (according to Mularkeys of Burton) was because folk where put off by the position of the drag wheel!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note:

Let's try to keep this one on topic as it would be a shame to have to close yet another 'pin thread.

We have had 2 complaints, so one more and it will be locked.