Best hooks for Barbel/chub?

cg74

Reaction score
Yes. It was on Ribble fish in at the Tickled Trout stretch.

The hook didn't straighten but was opening up.

I've had others near to 5lb on size 10 to 4 with no problem. But a decent barbel would probably open em up.

I asked if you landed it because had you not, it'd be pure supposition attributing blame to anything. I assume the hook wasn't twisted?

Though I've never had an issue with them, I have wondered whether the fairly large barb and short point could cause problems with hook penetration?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was the only time I had a hint of a problem and as I say I have had some nice fish on them since. No, it wasn't twisted, just opening.

Have a look at the Drennan Wide Gapes Matt, I compared them in the shop with the B983s and they seem to be forged from better wire, though I suppose the b983s thinner wire would be better for some baits?

sam vimes

Reaction score
they are more reliable than the ''custom made'' hooks (why do these companies advertise their products as custom made when they are obviously mass produced? are people really that daft as to take in that rubbish?) sold by the likes of Fox, Nash and Korda!

Where do you get this "custom made" thing from? Is it a Korda thing? If it is then I won't see it as I tend to ignore Korda hype. Is it a press advert thing? Again, I don't see such ads because I tend not to bother with the angling press.

I've not yet seen any of those being bracketed as "carp brands" claiming to have custom made hooks before, unique (to them) finishes or packaging certainly, but not custom made hooks. I wonder if your disdain for the pricing and dislike of the "carp brands" is colouring you opinion?

I was even bored enough to have a look at the websites of the three named companies. I can't find any hint of a suggestion that they are claiming to have "custom made" hooks.
Arma Point® SSC - Fox Carp Fishing Tackle
Hooks | Fishing Tackle | Korda
Nash Tackle - Carp Fishing Tackle - Fang X Hook (10 per pack)
Same applies to Pallatrax and Gardner.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where do you get this "custom made" thing from? Is it a Korda thing? If it is then I won't see it as I tend to ignore Korda hype. Is it a press advert thing? Again, I don't see such ads because I tend not to bother with the angling press.

Sam, its Fox mate, I will have another look in their catalogue but I am sure its states the Arma hooks are custom!

Just found it on the dedicated Arma hook web site:

It states: ''The greatest achievement in Custom Hook Design''.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, its Fox mate, I will have another look in their catalogue but I am sure its states the Arma hooks are custom!

Just found it on the dedicated Arma hook web site:

It states: ''The greatest achievement in Custom Hook Design''.

:: Armapoint Hooks website ::
Found it. You are right in that it's marketing rubbish but it actually says "one of the greatest advancements in custom carp hook design". That isn't quite the same as saying that they are custom made, even if it's still drivel.;):D

guest61

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had a branded 'specimen' hook of any pattern fail or straighten when persuing Chub or Barbel?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:: Armapoint Hooks website ::
Found it. You are right in that it's marketing rubbish but it actually says "one of the greatest advancements in custom carp hook design". That isn't quite the same as saying that they are custom made, even if it's still drivel.;):D

yeah, I get your point, I think its how I read it, bit like my new head phones that state, designed and developed in Scotland by RHA. They are actually made in China, if you look at the reviews on Amazon, most folk rave about them being British made!

sam vimes

Reaction score
yeah, I get your point, I think its how I read it, bit like my new head phones that state, designed and developed in Scotland by RHA. They are actually made in China, if you look at the reviews on Amazon, most folk rave about them being British made!

You can spend an awful lot more than that on headphones from a British company and find they are still made in China. Rather nice though and Lord knows what they'd have to charge for them if they were made in the UK.:eek:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can spend an awful lot more than that on headphones from a British company and find they are still made in China. Rather nice though and Lord knows what they'd have to charge for them if they were made in the UK.:eek:

Yeah sam,
They sound absolutely amazing for a pair £40 ear buds!
I know how much British Audio stuff costs, I have a mate that spent over a grand on his turntable alone, god knows how much the rest cost...He's a bit off a gear freak when it comes to Hi-Fi, bit like me with fishing tackle :eek:mg: :D