Star Drags

aebitim

Reaction score
Recent heated discussion on this subject has left me confused.
The star drag on a trent revolves with the spool but the star drag on my 706 doesnt turn with the handle.
Which one am I more at risk from?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I commented on the safety of the Trent's drag what I was getting at was the fact that the drag was behind the reels spokes and has such could trap your fingers if the spool moved while you had them in between the spokes...Some folk took umbrage to the comments I made but I was only voicing my opinion.

aebitim

Reaction score
When I commented on the safety of the Trent's drag what I was getting at was the fact that the drag was behind the reels spokes and has such could trap your fingers if the spool moved while you had them in between the spokes...Some folk took umbrage to the comments I made but I was only voicing my opinion.

Surely the same would apply to any centerpin?

nicepix

Reaction score
Surely the same would apply to any centerpin?

Tim, you are correct in that the star drag on the Trent revolves around with the spool and so is no more or less an issue than any centrepin reel. If there were any injuries caused by the drag then the Internet would be full of stories and the reel would have been taken off the market.

The imagined danger is just one of the misconceptions about the reel along with not being able to put your finger through the spokes to rewind, and that the drag cannot be disconnected. Some people feel the need to invent stories for whatever purpose suits them.

Hopefully my reassurance as a long term user of the reel should settle this matter once and for all.

aebitim

Reaction score
As the drag revolves with the spool how is this a problem? The star drag on the trent seems to have been designed so that there is always a space to easily adjust the drag or put a finger in to retrieve [see video] With the match aeriel I have to check the position of the spool release and micro drag mechanisms before I put my finger in to retrieve. With the 706 I adjust the drag when the handle is held by the ratchet with the trent I would hold the spool with my thumb while adjusting the drag, perhabs I am being thick but I really cant see the problem.

nicepix

Reaction score
There isn't a problem Tim. If you run the video you'll see that I still have all my fingers. And let's face it, most of these reels were sold in the States and they aren't exactly shy of litigation for injuries are they? :D

They have maintained the same star drag design for the new Sheffield DRII that replaces the Trent & Sirata models. That should put any doubt to rest. :)