Diawa float Rod Questions..

guest61

Reaction score
1 - Have Diawa stopped producing the Spectron M2 17' - 20'?

2- There is a Diawa Connoisseur 17' - 20' float rod on the market, is this the same blank as the Spectron but rebranded or is it a totally new rod?

Many thanks in advance..

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1 - Have Diawa stopped producing the Spectron M2 17' - 20'?

2- There is a Diawa Connoisseur 17' - 20' float rod on the market, is this the same blank as the Spectron but rebranded or is it a totally new rod?

Many thanks in advance..

It's the same rod mate, just renamed and with a matt finish. Same Daiwa quality :)

I have 2 Spectron rods and they are just superb :)

guest61

Reaction score
It's the same rod mate, just renamed and with a matt finish. Same Daiwa quality :)

I have 2 Spectron rods and they are just superb :)

Hi Mark - thanks for your reply. Do you know this through experience or is it a hunch? I tend to agree with you but am asking anyway.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Mark - thanks for your reply. Do you know this through experience or is it a hunch? I tend to agree with you but am asking anyway.

I am sure its the same blank but you could allways give Billy Clarkes a call, what he doesn't know about Daiwa an Shimano is not worth knowing ;)

I nearly bought the Specron 17-20 but bought the Preston instead as it was £80 cheaper! The Daiwa was a real gem though, you hardly knew you were holding it at 17 ft. VERY, VERY NICE :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Comparing the specs in the 2012 and 2013 catalogues, the new Connoisseur does look suspiciously like the Spectron M2 in different clothing. However, it may be worth bearing in mind that the newer Connoisseur rods all seem to be heavier than the equivalent Spectron by around half an ounce. Did Daiwa get their figures wrong somewhere or are there some differences to account for the weight change?

guest61

Reaction score
Yes Sam, I'd clocked this weight difference too.

Note: I already have a Spectron 17' - 20' I was looking for a 2nd.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Note: I already have a Spectron 17' - 20' I was looking for a 2nd.

Most places seem to have cleared them over the last eighteen months or so. Those that pop up on ebay are going for around the £180 mark.
Three places I can find on the net suggest that they still have them. Whether they really do is another matter entirely.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had one since the mid nineties and it is a great rod the only thing I have against it is threading all those eyes but I would not part with it for the world.

guest61

Reaction score
Following a few phone calls and a couple of PMs..

Answers.

1 - Yes, the Spectron M2 17' - 20' has been discontinued :(

2 - The Connoisseur is a different blank - same mandrel different materials of construction.

Thanks again.

guest61

Reaction score
Re: Daiwa float Rod Questions..

Having now realised that the Spectron is no longer available, I'm considering buying a couple of replacements for my existing Spectron and a battered but much loved 15ft MAP Parabollix.

With the river season ending next week I have time to look around. I'm possibly looking for a couple of rods - I fish generally fairly wide rivers, with little opportunity to fish under the rod tip and this has traditionally been the reason why I don't trot stick floats with 13ft rods.

In the frame are Tri-Cast John Allerton rods, Rive float rods and possible Normark although these look like a minefield in the S/H market - am I missing anything?

sam vimes

Reaction score
BR,
why the need for two matching rods, I'll be impressed if you can trot with two rods at the same time? ;) Why not just stick with what you have, or is the matching gear OCD getting to you? I can't deny that it's often what prompts some of my buying.:eek:;):D

guest61

Reaction score
BR,
why the need for two matching rods, I'll be impressed if you can trot with two rods at the same time? ;) Why not just stick with what you have, or is the matching gear OCD getting to you? I can't deny that it's often what prompts some of my buying.:eek:;):D

I do have matching rod syndrome its true :)

When trotting I like to have option of trotting through the swim as one does with wagglers and some 'top and bottom' floats, or holding back. Often I'll have a Cralusso bolo on one and a standard bolo on the other switching between methods over the same baited area.

I think :eek:mg: I'm looking for a very good float rod in the 15 - 17ft range and I'll buy two :eek:mg:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do have matching rod syndrome its true :)

When trotting I like to have option of trotting through the swim as one does with wagglers and some 'top and bottom' floats, or holding back. Often I'll have a Cralusso bolo on one and a standard bolo on the other switching between methods over the same baited area.

I think :eek:mg: I'm looking for a very good float rod in the 15 - 17ft range and I'll buy two :eek:mg:

Have you looked at the Preston Excel 15 and 17 footers or the newer Absolution range? If you are a bit of a tackle tart you will love the finish, bit of an expense buying a pair though mate!
From What I have heard, the Riva rods are supposed to be very, very good!

guest61

Reaction score
My favourite bolo rods are Rive. I have two Preston excel 13ft rods and a 15ft excel - the action of the 15ft dictates that it's not really a trotting rod.