Multi section rods

dalesman

Reaction score
Why aren't there any Multi section float rods available for lads who require a rod to be hidden away in the car boot.

The fly lads are well catered for with 4 and 5 section rods with no loss of action and no flat spots. Take a 15' Salmon fly rod which can be put in a car boot and out of the eyes of thieves.

Any Ideas lads

frothy

Reaction score
The John Wilson travel rods are not tobad if you want an all rounder to leave in the boot, ok not a float rod by design but it'll do the job to some degree.

surreymac

Reaction score
Travel rods suit my style of fishing these days,short & frequent sessions consist of either j Wilson travel quiver,jw young travel barbel or their travel float teamed with a travel hardy marksman net handle,Nash daysack and a small unhooking mat I can wander the banks for 3-4 hours very comfortably & stowed in the boot you would'nt know it's there

rubio

Reaction score
Telescopic rods are also much improved these days I think

guest61

Reaction score
As the owner of several telescopic bolo rods I can vouch for their performance and reliability, being constructed differently to 'english style' rods they offer excellent strength to weight characteristics.

Rive manufacture telescopic match style rods - I have not tried them, but with my knowledge of the above, I'm suspect that they're very different from typical pre conceived expectations of telescopic rods.

Stay with it..09:40 onwards

[ame="http://youtu.be/Gn60JcwtYLo"]http://youtu.be/Gn60JcwtYLo[/ame]

Last edited:

David Dalton

Reaction score
I'm always surprised that there isn't a greater range of travel rods available. I have been recently looking for a feeder rod that is easy to take onto public transport (I don't run a car) and there are no four or six piece rods available. In fact, three piece rods seem to be in the minority these days with the current fashion for 2 piece rods.

In some previous threads, Ron Clay has argued for four piece rods, saying that this does not affect the action to any significant degree and of course makes the rods much easier to transport - I wish the tackle manufacturers would sit up and take note!

sam vimes

Reaction score
In some previous threads, Ron Clay has argued for four piece rods, saying that this does not affect the action to any significant degree and of course makes the rods much easier to transport - I wish the tackle manufacturers would sit up and take note!

The trade can't really win. Too many people in the UK want two piece rods so they can leave them tackled up easily. That's the road fashion has followed. Drennan have even gone as far as having a detachable butt section to allow for rods greater than 12'.

Shimano had a range of multi-piece travel rods a few years back, tip rods, float rods, carp rods, spinning rods, the lot. They struggled to sell them.
I suspect that the current market for three, or more, piece rods is pretty poor.