Lower Itchen Fishey

john_h

Reaction score
Should have posted this before - sorry...

I fished the Lower Itchen on Saturday 23 February - similar results to Ronnie ie a chub of about 2-8, a brown trout and 3 nice grayling. Having started fishing around 9am, I wimped out just after 1pm...it was very, very cold and a hot shower, a cup of tea and double Six Nations on TV was just too tempting :rolleyes:

Like mick b I've found LIF harder going in the last couple of winters than in earlier years, a typical catch in 2012-13 was half of what I'd expect 5 or 6 years ago, and you very much have to go searching for the fish. Two or three nice swims that used to reliably hold a pod of grayling now seem deserted. It's still a nice place to visit, though.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Had to go go down to Fareham yesterday (work). Having twice fished the LIF in cold, rain, snow etc. Passing over Gators Mill on the M3 it looked absolutely perfect, another case of S*ds Law :(

csmith10

Reaction score
The fishing was pretty good yesterday, between three of us we had 9 grayling and a good handful of trout, I had the biggest grayling of 1lb 1oz, while not huge I was more than happy! Another angler had a grayling of 2lb which looked very nice.
Another gentleman had 15 chub below the weir and a number of 2+lb roach came out along with a couple of barbel to 10lb to various different anglers.
Today though was a different story! The rain came and the fish went away! Out of the 5-6 angler on the top end only a few small trout had been caught!
I've never seen a fishery switch so dramatically from one day to the next.
Lovely place though and I will definitely be fishing there again some day!

Cheers

barbelboi

Reaction score
The fishing was pretty good yesterday, between three of us we had 9 grayling and a good handful of trout, I had the biggest grayling of 1lb 1oz, while not huge I was more than happy! Another angler had a grayling of 2lb which looked very nice.
Another gentleman had 15 chub below the weir and a number of 2+lb roach came out along with a couple of barbel to 10lb to various different anglers.
Today though was a different story! The rain came and the fish went away! Out of the 5-6 angler on the top end only a few small trout had been caught!
I've never seen a fishery switch so dramatically from one day to the next.
Lovely place though and I will definitely be fishing there again some day!

Cheers

There were a couple of FM fish-ins there last year (March and December) - probably be another hopefully after it opens up to coarse fishing in October.
Jerry