Lower Itchen Fishey

csmith10

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had fished the LIF recently? I am going down there for the first time next week and hope the water levels are down a bit after the heavy rain and snow we had a few weeks ago.

Cheers

frothy

Reaction score
Im going on the itchen for a couple of hours after work i'll let you know how it is

frothy

Reaction score
River is best I've seen it in a long long time, level and colour looking far more like it should and this was reflected in the fishing too. Only fished for about an hour and a half by the pub but had several roach to 1/2lb and a couple of chub 4-6 and 4-11 and lost another, are you on the LIF for the grayling or just a days course? Tempted to have a day on there myself before the end of season especially if the rain holds off...

csmith10

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the report! I was hoping the river was in better nick and the weather forecast is for little or no rain except the second day we are there.
I'll be after grayling specifically but I'll be doing done general course fishing too as well as a spot of barbel hunting

Cheers

captainbay

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i think its the time to do some fishing as weather is clear now.

mick b

Reaction score
Fished all day Wed and Thur.

Tuesday to Wed it dropped 2" with a further 1" Wed to Thur however its still a bit cloudy, a fair pace still on it, and quite a bit of rotting trash in the flow below the surface.

Grayling were sparodic, one here two there, my personal catch from 21 trips this season is only 1/6th of the previous :eek:mg:

From all reports the pub/park stretch is fishing way better than above, which is where I'll be next.

Ronnie

Reaction score
I fished LIF on wednesday, found it hard going 1 chub of 3lb ish,2 lost chub,2 nuisance trout and 1 nice Grayling just on 2lb, the river is stillcoloued and pushing through as noted b
by others,

R

csmith10

Reaction score
Ah well let's hope the conditions get better over the next few days! Was the track passable or is it a long hike with the fishing gear?

Cheers

mick b

Reaction score
Yes the track is open with repair works ongoing.

You will need to take care as the parking areas are only just drying out v v slowly, not helped by some who got bogged down and required pulling out:eek:mg:

Go easy on the feed and fish yourself downriver is my advice.

A word of warning, some idiots have tried to fish the trout beats (upstream of the coarse/day section).
Try this and you will be on the free stretch for good!
Plus a blacklist has been started between the Test & Itchen keepers and riparian owners and you wouldn't want to be on that!:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

csmith10

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Are the beats clearly marked I think we have the course stretch up to the salmon or trout hut? I've also thought we haven't received any day tickets or anything through the post confirming our booking

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Are the beats clearly marked I think we have the course stretch up to the salmon or trout hut? I've also thought we haven't received any day tickets or anything through the post confirming our booking

You'll enter the fishery by the mill where you are liable to catch most species. I've found that the best grayling fishing is often on the last few hundred yards after the hut (i.e. from the furthest boundary back towards the hut - about a mile and a half drive) you are able to park near the hut but it's best to keep two wheels on the track when the grass is soft). A single red maggot on an 18 generally works well - explore all of the trot, the near bank trot will often be productive.
Jerry
PS For latest information ring Clayton, the fishery manager, on his mobile - he'll advise you on anything you wish to know.

mick b

Reaction score
There are two A4 plastic covered notices fixed to trees on each side of the track, they are at head height so you cannot miss them.
If in any doubt ring the river keeper, his number is on the website.
The signs position is located at the same place as indicated on the map that is on the website, I would suggest that you print off a copy and have it will you and it will enable you to know where you are on the fishery.

Write your names and car make, colour and number on the outside of an envelope and put it through the door of the keepers cottage as you enter the fishery (last door on the left before the salmon anglers room), he is usually on the fishery very early, but will collect it when he returns.
Don't worry if your tickets do not arrive, the keeper will have an uptodate list of all the day anglers and do a cross reference on the CCTV security system without having to track you down.

Its the norm for the keepers on these game rivers to just appear behind you when they want to see who's on their river, and he will certainly come and see you at sometime, then you can ask for an update, but be assured it won't be "you should have been here Thursday".

Have a great trip and I'll call in and see you if I've got the time.

Last edited:

frothy

Reaction score
I thought you were another Frothy......who lived in Barnstable! lol

Lol this is Hampshire frothy, not to be mistaken with frothey. A few more nice fish been out of the itchen last couple of days too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol this is Hampshire frothy, not to be mistaken with frothey. A few more nice fish been out of the itchen last couple of days too.

Well, hopefully you don't look like the other Frothey either, unless you have an uncanny resemblance to Limahl that is . . . . . . . .

Limahl being an anagram of his real name which is Hamill . . . . . . . .

Now, not a lot of people know that

B

Berty

Well, hopefully you don't look like the other Frothey either, unless you have an uncanny resemblance to Limahl that is . . . . . . . .

Limahl being an anagram of his real name which is Hamill . . . . . . . .

Now, not a lot of people know that

I thought his name was Dave! ;)

csmith10

Reaction score
If I come away from the trip having caught my first grayling then I'll be happy! Does the free stretch start after the weir that is practically under the m27?

Cheers

mick b

Reaction score
You'll get your grayling that's for certain, how many is up to you and Lady Luck.

According to the available info the 'free' stretch officially starts at the old stone bridge that is 100m downstream of the Swan public house and goes through the public park to Woodmill Outdoor Centre, fishing is from the lefthand bank only when looking downstream.
The right to fish (for coarse fish) from this bank was 'given' by Lord Swayling to the local people many years ago.
However anglers fish upstream of the bridge, past the pub and right up to the access bridge at Gaters Mill, fishing over or from what land there is, over the Armco barrier.

A LIF ticket allows you to fish the righthand bank, from the motorway hatches (weir) downstream for about 200m to where the small stream enters the main river (opposite the Armco barriers) and up the small stream, under the M27 motorway to where it joins the main river 500+m upstream.

Check it out on Ggogle Maps and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps?

............~~<',))))={

csmith10

Reaction score
Yeah I have been looking on google to try and work out what's where! The only annoying thing now is that rain is predicted for both days of our trip :(