Feeder/Method/Leger

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I know I've touched upon this briefly before but despite searching the rig/technique sections on here have been unable to find what I was looking for. Basically I've never tried feeder/method/leger fishing before and therefore my knowledge is admittedly v poor on all the aspects of this style of fishing. I'm looking for a step by step guide which explains everything from the terminal tackle needed, how to tie the rigs ideally with photo's or illustrations explained in a clear easy to understand way. Maybe I've over looked something on this site which is what I'm looking for but a good book with this info would be great.

All help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to give this method of fishing a go.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I read those, none of which really seem to explain to us simple folk who havent tried it before how to actually set up a rig. I think I need more of a guide much like that you get for assembly instructions. Photo's of finished rigs or talking about how to fish the feeder aren't really what I'm looking for...the search goes on.....

E

EC

Macca, I haven't fished the method that much but when I have, this is how I have set it up, and it has worked.

Thread the feeder on the mainline, fat side down towards hook.

Tie hooklength to swivel.

Tie swivel to mainline.

Push feeder onto swivel, the method feeders I have used have rubber on the bottom so you canpush them over the swivelso that they are semi fixed.

Mould groundbait.

Cast out.

Hide behind your brolly when everyone on the lake wonders which noddyis making the big splashes!

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Cheers Eddie I'll give that a go and remember to hide at "splash down" or possibly stand up and pretend that I too am wondering who the berk causing so much commotion is /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

E

EC

That's the one mate, I fished a shallow stillwater a few years back, every 15 minutes........SPLADOOOOSH.........Ihid like a big tartbutcouldn't blame anyone else as every other angler was on the pole!

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Haha well I'll hope that it's either just me there the odd person is on rod too, or I could proudly state "yeh that was me, come on, what a splash!!"

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Same as Eddie for the method.

Hooklengths for any feeder fishing are the same as any other though they shouldn't be too long. You don't want the hookbait 3 feet away from the feeder - sometimes 2 or 3 inches is plenty. Hair rigs for pellets and boilies - straight hooked maggots or corn etc...

For the method set up as Eddie describes mould some feed around the feeder then fold the hooklength with bait over onto the feeder and pack more groundbait over it so you're left with a ball of feed containing you hook & bait.

For maggot feeder or cage feeder fishing I usually have a running rig or a set up like the Jan Porter semi fixed rig I linked to above.

porterrig2.jpg

Again a fairly short hooklength is fine although on rivers you can go longer as the feeder-bait will wash down with the flow past you hook-bait unlike on a still-water.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Yep, that helps a bit more /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifI'm still not entirely sure what the "semi fixed" means, I know it's some sort of safety feature so in the event of a break the fish isn't left dragging a feeder around but not sure what bits I need for this....I feel a little trip to the tackle shop is in order

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
That rig picture shows a semi fixed feeder. Semi fixed in that it is pushed onto that rubber sleeve/cone over the swivel. It won't move on the cast or when a fish picks up the bait but should the main-line snap the fish should easily be able to pull the line free of the feeder.

A free running feeder is just that, free running on the mainline.

Deanos

Reaction score
Macca

A good starting guide to all "core" aspects of course fishing is:

"Course Fishing" A STEP BY STEP GUIDE.

By Tony Miles.

Just good core basics, where to start from!.

Then anything you can lay your hands on in the future by the same author will take you onto the next level, I have to say I am a big fan of his, read any of his articals in the mags to cut through waffle and learn how to catch.

When you get to know some of the lads on the site, you will get some excellent "mentoring" from them.

FM has some of the U.Ks best anglers on from all fields.

Good fishing, Deanos.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I'd forget method fishing until you have mastered the techniques of straight/standard feeder legering first.Method fishing requires failry constant casting , often of a fairly heavy feeder once the groundbait is moulded to it ,in the same spot for the technique to work usually with the aid of the line clip on the spool.

I would recommend going to a water with a good head of skimmers/roach/perch that will give you plenty of bites so you get a feel for casting accuratly, how bites look and just getting a feel for the technique generally.Use a small open end feeder running freely on the line with casters/chopped worm in the middle plugged with groundbait at either end.Fish caster or caster and worm on the hook.Cast fairly regularly to the same spot or as near as.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Whichever is easiest I'd agree I would prefer to start with, with the line clip so i cast to my desired spot, then clip the line and leave it clipped in so that it lands in the same spot each time or do i use another method to mark the distance? Just wondering if using the line clip could result in line breaking? Hopefully my casting is quite accurate from my lure fishing.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

if you are targetting small species such as skimmers or roach there should not be any issue with the clip.if you get a take from a carp or tench you should be ready to unclip fairly quickly or risk breakage.Normally when you cast to the clip you can get a few turns on the spool as you lower the rod to tighten up which gives you a bit of time.Alternatively you can use a bait band hooked over the clip and use this to trap the line.I use this method and it lessens damage to the line behind the clip from repeated casting and alsoshould break break if you get an unstoppable take.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Starting to wonder if I should stick to my float fishing, it all sounds v confusing but I have pretty much all the tackle and do want to give it a go as I dont want to be limited to just float fishing all the time.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Macca,

Dont be confused and like most things in fishing(and life?), it's easy once you know how.Reading all the magazines about rigs, it is easy to be a bit dazed and it is easy to overcomplicate without needing to do so.

Where abouts are you asI am sure there would be an FMer happy to take you out for the day to show you the ropes.

If not, my advice would be to gear up a simple free running open end feeder rig ie with the feeder running up and down the line on a snap swivel and stopped by aswivel and a bead.Tie the hooklength to the swivel.Groundbait/bait as per my earlier post.Find a lake with plenty of fish and go and fish it for the day.Forget clipping up and just try and cast regularly to the same spot.I'd say every 10 minutes but more regulary if the bites are coming quickly. If there are no bites, keep the feeder going in regardless.Probably worth having 10 quick casts at the start to lay down a bed of feed.You do not need to cast to the horizon.20 yards would be fine.Hooklength would need to be about 18 inches.

Mainline would need to be about 5lb, hooklength 3lb/4lb depending on size/type of fish.Hook size a reasonably strong 16 to start with but consider an 18 if things are quiet.

Use a fairly light quiver tip, probably an ounce. and put a slight bend in it when tightening to the feeder.If the fish swim towards you after taking the bait, then the tip will drop back and the line go slack.You need to strike harder if this is the case to pick up the slack.Tighten gently to the feeder as you do not want to pull it out of the baited area.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Cheers Nigel, that sounds like a good plan, here's looking forward to my next trip out when hopfully by actually doing it I'll know what I'm doing /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

P.S-I'm around Ormskirk area (liverpool sort of area)