Bait Droppers!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I should have asked this before I bought one, but are the Symo Bait droppers any good?
I remembered after I bought one yesterday that Bob Roberts an Stu Walker said that there weren't to good and needed modifying, or were they on about the fox one, which I have heard are not very good anyway. have I made a booby?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been using bait droppers since a boy and they can all be improved by making small modifications the seymo are good in strong and deep rivers because of their metal construction the thing is you can operate them at home to a degree and make the mods that you think are needed they are a great tool for still water as well as running the big ones are best used on a seperate sturdy rod or a carp pole in some cases.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Why not fix it on the end of your line and conduct a simple experiment, comes back empty=good, still full of bait=bad.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I should have asked this before I bought one, but are the Symo Bait droppers any good?
I remembered after I bought one yesterday that Bob Roberts an Stu Walker said that there weren't to good and needed modifying, or were they on about the fox one, which I have heard are not very good anyway. have I made a booby?

Is it a gloss one Mark?;)
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why not fix it on the end of your line and conduct a simple experiment, comes back empty=good, still full of bait=bad.

Something on the lines of the door not being very good but I think they meant the Fox model,
I have looked all over for a round plastic one, I have been told that they don't make them any more?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have the new Lythe baitdroppers. Beautifully hand crafted and real joy to behold. Very easy to attach to the line without tangles. The only downside is they take 2 years to pop open.....

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the new Lythe baitdroppers. Beautifully hand crafted and real joy to behold. Very easy to attach to the line without tangles. The only downside is they take 2 years to pop open.....

At what cost not on a par with his reels I hope.

peterjg

Reaction score
Make your bait droppers. I like to bait with mashed bread if I am laying-on in a river. The problem being that (to the best of my knowledge) the only bait dropper that does not have a bar inside is the Fox type. I make my bait droppers from those small plastic tackle boxes (the ones with lots of compartments) which fold in half. I use a dremel tool to cut out the inner walls and design the bar to fit in a tube fixed to the back - I can then bait with small, flattened lumps of mashed bread and not just small particles. Works well.

trotter2

Reaction score
Make your bait droppers. I like to bait with mashed bread if I am laying-on in a river. The problem being that (to the best of my knowledge) the only bait dropper that does not have a bar inside is the Fox type. I make my bait droppers from those small plastic tackle boxes (the ones with lots of compartments) which fold in half. I use a dremel tool to cut out the inner walls and design the bar to fit in a tube fixed to the back - I can then bait with small, flattened lumps of mashed bread and not just small particles. Works well.

Thats sounds interesting can you post a picture Peter?
I think a bait dropper is indispensable I always make sure I have one in my pocket, one of the items I don't like to leave behind.

terry m

Reaction score
I have always got on well with the Fox plastic BDs, the large metal ones are so heavy you need a very strong rod if you are going to cast any distance.

cg74

Reaction score

In fairness the problem with the Seymo droppers take a little time to manifest and is slightly more complex than that but an adept engineer should immediately see what the issue is going to be and how it can be easily rectified..... Shame Seymo don't employ anyone that fits the bill.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There has never been anything made yet that cannot be improved with a little bit of thought ingenuity it is not rocket science.