Your Most Amazing Day

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
The first fish I ever caught, some thirty five years ago now, was a bullhead. Never caught another one since but would love to. That single fish started me down a track I've never left, changed my life forever and darn, am I glad??

Some great memories chaps, thanks a million for sharing.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Sam,

Dare I say it? Some day, your prints will come.....

(I know it's an awful pun but it WAS an open goal!!!)

terry m

Reaction score
I have had many memorable days and sessions but one of the truly magical days came back in the early 70s as a young teenager.

I used to fish some lakes outside of Salisbury most Sundays, small roach, perch and skimmers were the order of the day. On this particular day I was in my normal swim, the float dipped and instead of the normal minimal resistance of a wriggling 3 or 4 ouncer there was serious resistance that fought well on light gear and my old match rod.

Once netted it was a perch weighing 1lb 10oz, i had never seen sucha 'huge perch back then, 6 ounces was as big as I had seen. i was in awe of this handsome creature.

As I cycled home that evening I was like a dog with two d1cks!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Terry,

I had a 2lb 7oz perch on the Thames some years back. A real, old warrior of a fish. There's just something so impressive about a big perch, isn't there? I remember going into work the next day, absolutely fizzing. Great stuff.

Mart Smith

Reaction score
Probably the most memorable day was some 20 years ago, I was fishing the wensum, close to Taverham pits. I'd already had a 5lb chub on cheesepaste from under the nearside overhanging bush, when I switched to trotting a waggler down the far bank. It was a fish a cast, each being a roach over a pound in weight. By the time the light had gone, I'd had more than 20 fish, the biggest being my current pb of 2lb 6. Never to be repeated, me thinks!

terry m

Reaction score
Days like that are simply right time and right place coupled with right method and jackpot!

The fact that they are so rare makes them all the more special.

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
i started carp fishing about 6 yrs ago and in my first year i caught a massive total of one but lots of tench. My second season i changed tactics quite a bit. For the first few month nowt as usual. Then one extremley wet august morning. It had got to 9.30am and nowt had happend as usual. So i set a float rod up after Tench in the edge.

I got a bite on my carp rod at about 10.0am, wow was i shocked. The Fish took me thro' a large weed bed and i lost it gutted, but boy i was buzzing.
So i chucked it back out
I phoned my wife up to tell her the news, she was more shocked i had a bite ;). Anyway while on the phone, my float shot under on my tench rod, drops the phone and hooks in to a very large tench. So while im playing the fish on my floatrod, one of my alarms goes mad, this is 10mins after i have lost the other fish.
Dilema or what, cant catch then 3 in 10mins. So i put the float rod down and go for the Carp rod, this fish takes me straight into the same weed bed. It was there for a while before the hook pulled. Gutted, excited, p***£d o$%%.
So i returned to the float rod and amazing the fish is still on, turns out to be a 9lb common !!
Never give up hope

Keith M

Reaction score
I remember an evening back in the Fibreglass rod days; when a mate and I were doing an overnight session on a small pond after small 5 to 10lb Carp.

The weather forecasts told us to expect thunder and lightning, but in those days we didn't worry too much about fishing in thunder storms as carbon fibre rods were unknown then, so as long as we didn't fish under a tree we were usually not too worried..

It was a warm evening and we weren't catching a lot at first; but then we saw and heard thunder and lightening in the distance, where a very large thunder storm was on its way.

The Carp suddenly came on the feed in earnest and we started catching one Carp after another from an hour before the sky's opened above us; right up to an hour after the storm had passed.

We were soaked through to our skins but had both caught around 18 to 20 Carp each, all between 7 to 11lb, from this small pond (36 to 40 fish in total), in a little over 2.5 hours.

Nowadays I wouldn't dream of fishing in a thunderstorm because of today's carbon fibre rods; but I often remember this night when we have a Thunderstorm.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Glad you're safe Kieth, although somewhat safer than carbon I've heard of fibreglass rods being shattered by lightning bolts and anglers losing their lives.
Jerry

mick b

Reaction score
My first visit to a tackle shop after my Decree Absolute. :w

Just being able to buy whatever tackle I wanted, with my own money, without having to justify why I'd spent it.

That feeling can never be replicated, my most amazing day ever, even if it did cost me fifteen grand I consider it the best money I've ever spent! :D:D:D::D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Impossible to choose one. I can think of the most successful day(s) in straight bagging terms..not that theres too many to choose from ..but for the most amazing it would have to have some magic in it ..something way back from the time when i was young and impressionable. Probably the first time i fished Witley Park, with its victorian follies, opulence and rhododendrons (rather more spectacular than the Thames at Canbury Gardens) crowned by catching a few crucians over the pound mark.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
My best days were probably a flukey Chub of about 1.5lb or a big Dace when fishing for live bait. My tackle (8ft solid glass pier rod - all my own fault) probably didn't help too much. Since I've returned to the sport, I've caught so many better fish of all species, I'm actually a bit sad I didn't get any such success when I was younger, as if I did, i'm pretty sure my studies would have been more focussed.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Had a 4lb 0.5oz perch yesterday but even more amazing another bloke had a different perch of exactly the same weight 30 minutes after mine.

jimlad

Reaction score
That's some fish Shaun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Not a million miles from you but can't say more as I would upset the locals.

Will be targeting the Great Ouse next winter so hopefully will better this fish.

jimlad

Reaction score
Understood ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul1234

Reaction score
For me my perfect day would have beenl a few years ago.it was earlie spring.
Me and my brothere went fishing for big perch.the action was fairly steady.
My brother was in one swim about 150 yards away getting the occasional perch up2 around 2lb 8oz if i remember correctly.
I was sat in my swim not getting any action.the swim had a great big weed bed about 15 yards out.anda fallen tree in the water to my right.i knew there must have been perch there.id gone all day with just the odd bite,with nothing to show for it.it was about 3 oclock in the afternoon when i started to get theodd pull on my line.i first thought it was a smaller perch playin with my perch livebait.
After a couple of minutes.my bobbins lifted tight against my alarm ,i picked my rod up and was greetin with a nice heavy resistence.
The next thing i knew there was a cracking great perch skimming over my net.it turned out to be 3lb 7oz.i was well chuffed.and so pleased id stuck with that swim :) a day that will never be forgot

Chevin

Reaction score
One of my angling days that always comes to mind is when Rod Lane and I shared a bag of 46 bream which weighed an average of 8lbs 4ozs. There were four of ten pounds or more in the bag. That was when we were fishing in Wilstone Reservoir

paul1234

Reaction score
One of my angling days that always comes to mind is when Rod Lane and I shared a bag of 46 bream which weighed an average of 8lbs 4ozs. There were four of ten pounds or more in the bag. That was when we were fishing in Wilstone Reservoir

Do you know of any places that hold a good head of double figured bream in leicester/northamptonshire?something ive always wanted to catch.