Your Most Amazing Day

Chevin

Reaction score
Wow Chevin,

That's some going - top job!!

Long time ago now, but I had a couple of brilliant days last year when I caught 15 sailfish up to about 105lbs (48kgs) and lost another eight which shed the hook. Those two days were real hard work. But of course that is not coarse fishing.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Did I ever tell you about my chance trip on the Trent after an August meeting in Worcester ?

I think I have, so short and sweet, arrived 19:30, with JW travel rod and a Purist II, tin of garlic spam.
Started with a 1/4 tin fished straight through,down the inside on a size 6.

Within 15 minutes pb barbel of 10:11,followed very quickly by 3 nines and an 8 then the now rationed sized meat ran out!

flightliner

Reaction score
River trent a few years back. Arrived at locality at around noon. Had one tin of spam unflavoured.packed up at nine pm having taken twenty three barbel. Several doubles with the best at 15-5.only bait they saw from me was on the hook.

Chevin

Reaction score
Another fantastic trip was one on which i never caught anything at all. I was called to the 'phone at work and it was Fred Taylor calling me. He told me that **** Walker, his brother Ken and he were going to Redmire for the weekend and he wondered if I would like to join them. I think that most here would know my answer. We never caught anything but I saw the biggest carp I had ever seen - and it's still the biggest even to this day.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
That would be at a local reservoir back in the late seventies. During a four hour period fishing lures, I had four pike over twenty pounds, with a best weighing in at 27-4. And three bonus perch between 2-4 and 3-8.
And to think I had endured relentless leg from my mates about my choice of lure that day, makes it all the sweeter, for the lure was a ''Spinnerbait'', which few had seen back then, let alone used.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I originally posted this a couple of years ago on another thread.
Jerry

About 8 or 9 years ago I was fishing a lake with my son ‘up in the water’ for carp. Early afternoon the water that we were fishing, some 20m out, turned very brown. Our first thought was that it was some sort of algae. Not so, it was a very large gathering of tench brought to a feeding frenzy by the stream of pellets hitting the water. For half an hour it was a tinca a chuck – then they disappeared as quickly as they came. Although I have caught many tench up in the water I have never seen anything like this before or since.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
One of my angling days that always comes to mind is when Rod Lane and I shared a bag of 46 bream which weighed an average of 8lbs 4ozs. There were four of ten pounds or more in the bag. That was when we were fishing in Wilstone Reservoir

Once had 61 bream and 2 Rudd on feeder in winter from Whitevane for a total weight of 225lb, all caught between 9am to 3:30pm.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I was fishing at around 80 yards range to a small gravel bar around a rod length off an island. Unusually for me I'd baited tightly and lightly, a couple of spods of hemp and T1's. The night was quiet and in the morning just as the mist was lifting I got a couple of beebs on my delkim as the bobbin lifted an inch, it held up on a tight line as the line started to cut through the water. As the fish kited down the island I lifted into it and after a uneventful fight I netted the biggest common I'd ever caught, the fish weighed an impressive 42lb.

What makes it so 'amazing' was the hollow emotion that followed after I returned the fish, I should have been delighted but I really wasn't and I don't know why. Maybe subconsciously I knew that reaching a goal means the quest is over?

That was over three years ago and I've not fished for carp since or even wanted to, something I find odd considering it was the only fishing I did for well over a decade. Since then I've very much enjoyed rediscovering coarse fishing.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Stillwater,

I completely understand that. After my roach, I wanted another 2lber and another but nowadays, I'm just happy with that one. I do think we can sometimes build these goals up too much.

Congrats on your 42.

Enjoy your fishing all the more.

Chevin

Reaction score
I have had a number of pretty fantastic days in both fresh and salt water. One that I will never forget though was the day I fished for a shark near Exmouth in Western Australia. I hooked a heavy fish on the head of a Spanish mackerel, (the head weighed five or six pounds) and despite using all of my strength I could do little with the fish. After a punishing fight, I eventually got a tiger shark to the side of the boat which was estimated at around 1200lbs. The fish was cut free and it swam away. I was in worse condition and I didn't feel very well for the the next three days. I had been chasing a 1000lb fish, I got one, but I don't want another.:)

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Chevin how you doin?
Yeh I know the feelin, like pullin on a fridge!

I had an 80lb bent butt, still in the holder, arched right over for nigh on 20mins by a shark, eventually it bit thro the 600lb wire....:mad:
That was before I knew the Aussie method of using 3mm plastic covered yacht cable for shark traces. :eek:mg:
1.2 is just a baby by normal Oz standards, right?

By the way.
I still have those C&R hooks for you.

Chevin

Reaction score
Hi Chevin how you doin?
Yeh I know the feelin, like pullin on a fridge!

I had an 80lb bent butt, still in the holder, arched right over for nigh on 20mins by a shark, eventually it bit thro the 600lb wire....:mad:
That was before I knew the Aussie method of using 3mm plastic covered yacht cable for shark traces. :eek:mg:
1.2 is just a baby by normal Oz standards, right?

By the way.
I still have those C&R hooks for you.

Do you have any idea of what species your shark was? I can't remember if I mentioned, but mine was a tiger which do not give an exciting fight, they are a very dour fish and just use their weight. I think my trace was plastic covered 350lb wire, but the hook eye was outside of the sharks mouth. Sounds like yours may have been a white pointer or a tiger, both have the kind of teeth that will saw through just about anything.

While my shark was not huge when it coes to the size of some sharks seen around our coasts, it is quite big when it comes to those that are caught. Before whaling was banned a small group of anglers fished for pointers near the whale boats out from Albany and i believe they got them to 3000lbs. However, the IGFA banned the use of mammal meat a bait for sharks and so they could no longer use whale meat as bait. Unfortunately, some anglers were killing dolphins for bait if thet couldn't find a whaler from which they could get their bait.

I have caught quite a few sharks since that day, but i generally only fish in waters where tigers are not so prevelant.

I will email you my address in regards to the hooks. Thank you.