Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Your Most Amazing Day

The first fish I ever caught, some thirty five years ago now, was a bullhead. Never caught another one since but would love to. That single fish started me down a track I've never left, changed my life forever and darn, am I glad??

Some great memories chaps, thanks a million for sharing.

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Sam,

Dare I say it? Some day, your prints will come.....

(I know it's an awful pun but it WAS an open goal!!!)

Default Re: Your Most Amazing Day

I have had many memorable days and sessions but one of the truly magical days came back in the early 70s as a young teenager.

I used to fish some lakes outside of Salisbury most Sundays, small roach, perch and skimmers were the order of the day. On this particular day I was in my normal swim, the float dipped and instead of the normal minimal resistance of a wriggling 3 or 4 ouncer there was serious resistance that fought well on light gear and my old match rod.

Once netted it was a perch weighing 1lb 10oz, i had never seen sucha 'huge perch back then, 6 ounces was as big as I had seen. i was in awe of this handsome creature.

As I cycled home that evening I was like a dog with two d1cks!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Your Most Amazing Day

Terry,

I had a 2lb 7oz perch on the Thames some years back. A real, old warrior of a fish. There's just something so impressive about a big perch, isn't there? I remember going into work the next day, absolutely fizzing. Great stuff.

Probably the most memorable day was some 20 years ago, I was fishing the wensum, close to Taverham pits. I'd already had a 5lb chub on cheesepaste from under the nearside overhanging bush, when I switched to trotting a waggler down the far bank. It was a fish a cast, each being a roach over a pound in weight. By the time the light had gone, I'd had more than 20 fish, the biggest being my current pb of 2lb 6. Never to be repeated, me thinks!

Days like that are simply right time and right place coupled with right method and jackpot!

The fact that they are so rare makes them all the more special.

i started carp fishing about 6 yrs ago and in my first year i caught a massive total of one but lots of tench. My second season i changed tactics quite a bit. For the first few month nowt as usual. Then one extremley wet august morning. It had got to 9.30am and nowt had happend as usual. So i set a float rod up after Tench in the edge.

I got a bite on my carp rod at about 10.0am, wow was i shocked. The Fish took me thro' a large weed bed and i lost it gutted, but boy i was buzzing.
    So i chucked it back out
    I phoned my wife up to tell her the news, she was more shocked i had a bite . Anyway while on the phone, my float shot under on my tench rod, drops the phone and hooks in to a very large tench. So while im playing the fish on my floatrod, one of my alarms goes mad, this is 10mins after i have lost the other fish.
    Dilema or what, cant catch then 3 in 10mins. So i put the float rod down and go for the Carp rod, this fish takes me straight into the same weed bed. It was there for a while before the hook pulled. Gutted, excited, p***£d o$%%.
    So i returned to the float rod and amazing the fish is still on, turns out to be a 9lb common !!
    Never give up hope

Blog Entries

I remember an evening back in the Fibreglass rod days; when a mate and I were doing an overnight session on a small pond after small 5 to 10lb Carp.

The weather forecasts told us to expect thunder and lightning, but in those days we didn't worry too much about fishing in thunder storms as carbon fibre rods were unknown then, so as long as we didn't fish under a tree we were usually not too worried..

It was a warm evening and we weren't catching a lot at first; but then we saw and heard thunder and lightening in the distance, where a very large thunder storm was on its way.

The Carp suddenly came on the feed in earnest and we started catching one Carp after another from an hour before the sky's opened above us; right up to an hour after the storm had passed.

We were soaked through to our skins but had both caught around 18 to 20 Carp each, all between 7 to 11lb, from this small pond (36 to 40 fish in total), in a little over 2.5 hours.

Nowadays I wouldn't dream of fishing in a thunderstorm because of today's carbon fibre rods; but I often remember this night when we have a Thunderstorm.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 27-03-2013 at 14:06.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Glad you're safe Kieth, although somewhat safer than carbon I've heard of fibreglass rods being shattered by lightning bolts and anglers losing their lives.
    Jerry
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

My first visit to a tackle shop after my Decree Absolute.

Just being able to buy whatever tackle I wanted, with my own money, without having to justify why I'd spent it.

That feeling can never be replicated, my most amazing day ever, even if it did cost me fifteen grand I consider it the best money I've ever spent! :

Impossible to choose one. I can think of the most successful day(s) in straight bagging terms..not that theres too many to choose from ..but for the most amazing it would have to have some magic in it ..something way back from the time when i was young and impressionable. Probably the first time i fished Witley Park, with its victorian follies, opulence and rhododendrons (rather more spectacular than the Thames at Canbury Gardens) crowned by catching a few crucians over the pound mark.
    Real Ale Alliance

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast