Lines Of Attack

M

Matthew White

Iv been thinking about the different swims I fish on my local stillwaters. After selecting a swim I usually just feed 1 area, sometimes 2, and fish them with whatever bait I am using. I usually fish with a pole.

What I would like to know is this -
Can I feed and fish 2 areas of a swim if one is directly in front of the other?
What I am considering is fishing to an island directly in front of me (10 -12m) , and then feeding and fishing another area just short of this at about 5 - 7m?
Is it possible to do this?
Which should I fish first, far or near?

Any help would be great
Matt

R

Rodney Wrestt

Matthew,
You would be better fishing with the 10-12 mtr line directly in front on you and the 5-7 mtr line to the left or right, and fish the closer line first leaving the far line for at least an hour or two. This is because when you start fishing the far line you don't want to be bringing fish through your near line when landing them, having the near line to one side gives you the chance to keep feeding it and keep the fish interested while fishing the other line. Leaving the far line to settle for a while gives the bigger fish time to get confident from watching the small fish (which are always on the scene first) eat the free food and they push them out the swim so the longer you feed the far line without fishing it the better your chance of a bigger fish. You could also have a margin swim at about 3 mtrs on the other side of your 5-7 mtr swim, the margins are usualy my first line of attack then the middle line and after a couple of hours the far line, then switch between them throughout the session. Always remember to feed all three lines regularly even if the water is cold keep the bait going in at regular intervals just use less in each helping untill the fish start to feed.

HTH.