river torne

P

peter yates

i am trying to find out any info on the torne near doncaster ie best stretches what in it best method of fishing it etc.any info at all would be appreciated

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I learned to fish on the Torne at Auckley at a teenager. We used to catch mainly Gudgeon plus the odd Roach, Perch and Eel.

However the river looks really bad nowadays due to water abstraction lowering the river level and reducing the flow.

Although I've not fished it for maybe 10 years, I have visited it many times while out on my pushbike. It looks more fishable from Acomb Bar. This is the bridge that the Hatfield to Finningly road uses to cross the river.

I've followed the match results over the years and most matches are won with bags of Roach around the 8lb to 10lb mark. Method seems to be Casters or Bread Punch fished on the pole.

R

Ron Clay

I drove past the Torne on Saturday. You are right Matt it does look rather low. In the 60s this river did produce some belting roach.

P

Phil Heaton

I pike fish the Torne each winter and do quite well, summer fishing can be very productive also for other species. There are some large bream and tench shoals cruising the river, which when located give good sport.
Belton, is good for roach and skimmers in the winter as this section is matched regularly, I have seen matchmen practising and emptying good nets after a few hours. Also at Belton maybe 200m upstream of the road bridge the Engine Drain enters the Torne, this area can be productive with the better tench and bream (late evening / night / early morning).
Pilfrey Bridge is a productive area, there are 3 drains / rivers converging here and again fishes well in summer for bream and tench (late evening / night / early mornings).
The purchase of a Doncaster year book may be advantageous as some of the better spots are listed. There are many other area's and this time of year is ideal for having a drive round and checking out possible spots. The O.S. Landranger maps numbered 111 and 112 will help considerably and also show the River Idle and the Stainforth and Keadby canal which are both fairly close.