The North's Biggest Tench

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've heard on the grapevine that a tench of 11lb 10oz has been caught somewhere in the north, which will, as far as I know, make it the biggest tench caught in the area. Has anyone else heard about this or know any details?

keora

Reaction score
If it's true, it's a stupendous fish. I know tench weights in Yorkshire where I live have increased in the last fifteen years or so, but I've never heard of an 11 pounder.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not "Never Never Land?"

If there are Tench that size up in this neck nof the woods, then it must be on a carp lake where it has grown fat on boilies and halibut pellets, so where do we start?

Good hunting mes amis,

Don

R

Robert Woods

Ric,

I've heard of tench to 12lb off Sandiway as well. Possible as bream to 14lb+ also get caught.

I

Ian Cloke

Same as Graham, I've heard rumours, but I've not heard or seen anything that can definitely confirm this capture.....

Azler

Reaction score
i'd love to think that its possible but cant see it at all, 9lb'er maybe but that size surely not, hope im wrong though. one of our best tench venues used to throw a six once a year, and our most toughest of heavyweight waters could maybe do a nine thats in yorkshire and its not easy. please prove my thoughts wrong captor.

MikeW

Reaction score
My local water in Cheshire and one that I have looked after for 12 years has produced several GENUINE double figure tench, the biggest caught was 11lb 8oz (2006), followed by a different fish of 11lb 2oz (2005), these weren't fish bloated with spawn either. There have also been several other doubles and male tench to 9lb 7oz (2007).

Crabmill Flash has produceda tench of 10lb 2oz this year too...and bream to 13lb 6oz.

MJ

Reaction score
I wouldnt be at all surprised. I know of 4 different waters that have produced 9lb+ fish this year in Cheshire, including a couple of doubles. It's just a shame that a lot of the big tench and bream caught by carp anglers are not usually weighed or photographed, which gives rise to so many rumours.

What constitutes 'the North' Graham? I once met a guy who considered anything above the M25 as the 'Norf'. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
North for me Martinstarts atNorth Staffs. Although I suppose it starts at different places for different people.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I believe Tabley Moat produced a fish over 11lb a few years ago too.

Hello MikeW, long time no see.

Agent no.9

Reaction score
I know of 2 12lb + tench from 2 waters in cheshire, nothing declared as they want to be able to carry on fishing there in peace and quite /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

We have a water only 25 miles from my house that has tench to 8lbs plus.

But it doesn't count as it is in Lincolnshire by 50 yards.

Lovely fish are tench. Anything over 4 lbs is a fish well worth catching.

And we had all better go out and catch them quickly, because the next bit of warm weather will mean that they will lose all those eggs, the weight of which seems to matter so much to tench anglers these days.

Dave jake alex

Reaction score
i'd love to think that its possible but cant see it at all, 9lb'er maybe but that size surely not, hope im wrong though. one of our best tench venues used to throw a six once a year, and our most toughest of heavyweight waters could maybe do a nine thats in yorkshire and its not easy. please prove my thoughts wrong captor.
I might be the lad you are all talking about as I was fishing 2 months ago in a lake in northwich and I landed 2 tench in the space of 20 mins, the first being 8lb and the second weighing just over 11lb

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_210753_720.jpg
    IMG_20210519_210753_720.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 191

mikench

Reaction score
Now that is a stunning tench. It isn't bloated and distended and is a lovely colour. Magnificent!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I remember this thread . . . . .

It is so nice to see a photo of dear old Graham Marsden . . . . he was the Editor here for many years. he was a damned fine angler and a really nice bloke to boot.

mikench

Reaction score
Op the thread began in 2008 and you cannot be the angler referred to if you caught your fish 2 months ago. That doesn't detract in any way from your achievement.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
MikeW who did post number 8 was on about Lymmvale, a Lymm AC club owned water, Tabley Moat is another Lymm AC water, At the time of posting in 2008 Crabmill Flash was as well.
Lymmvale has catfish in it upto around 70lb.
It used to have lots of golden orfe in as well.
MikeW was the long standing record holder for the golden orfe record.
A top bloke and a good angler.