Fishing the Pole

M

Matthew White

I have just bought myself my first pole, a 12.5m maver grim reaper.
I fished with it today for the first time and I have had no problems with it except this:-
It came with 2 top 3 sections, each elasticated through 3 sections. Because the top 3s are so long I have to have a pretty long line between pole tip and float. I feel because of this I am loosing connection with the float because of the length of line.

What can I do?
Is there another method of landing fish with a short pole line?
Do I need the top 3s elasticated- can I just elasticated the top 2?

Cheers
Matthew

C

Craig Smith

Mat,
I know what you mean about the Maver long top sections. I've got a Maver Medusa the match section isn't too bad. Does the grim reaper come with a match top section?
2 tips I can give are
1, Unship upto the fourth section and land the fish.
2, Shorten the leader when the wind allows you. You might well get a few bird nest rigs until you get used to having a short tail, but that's why I always have 2 copy's of the same rig or when pleasure fishing have a identical float in the tube with pole floats. When using a shorter tail you have to land the fish by pulling the top section right behind your head, meaning the fish comes closer to bank
Another solution is to get a longer landing net pole, I have a middy put over type which allows me to use it at different lengths.
Hope these tips help : )