Preston 14.5m Carp power pole

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
As some of you know I just recently started pole fishing and now looking to invest in a new pole.

I came across the Preston 14.5m Carp power pole for a reasonble prize, it comes with a match kit and 2 power top kits. Elastic rating 20.

Now I mainly want to fish for silver with the pole but occasionly for smaller carp (single figure) too.

I have tried to find some reviews on this pole but failed sadly.

Does anyone have any experience with this pole or read any reviews about it?

Reaction score
You will not find this pole great for silvers, it is strengthened and thus heavy, most likely you will not find it stiff enough for silvers and you may find that it bumps of silvers and smaller fish.

What is you budget ?250 ish ? -> i might be able to help with telling you what poles i recommend etc

Ryan

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Ryan,

Yes my budget is around that much, I don't want to compromise on the length even though I might not fish at 14m a lot.

Pete Worrell

Reaction score
Sounds like a brute of a pole.

I have a MAP pole to 11 metres with 4 top kits. I mostly use the 10 and the 12 though.

The 16 is good if you expect to pick up some good size carp or tenchand the 20 is great for yanking and banking. Although expect to bump some of the smaller fish off with such big elastic.

For mostly silvers I would still go light as poss. with the elastic, and as light as you can afford for the pole itself.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"most likely you will not find it stiff enough for silvers and you may find that it bumps of silvers and smaller fish."

Really?

How about when using the Match Top with suitable elastic?

The fact of the matter Claudia is that there is no such thing as a full and proper compromise (in that price range) for an excellent silver and/or Carp pole.

The top of the range Preston's are the best compromise in my opinion, but at over a grand-plus they are not up for consideration - unless of course Mike hasn't yet bought your Birthday pressie?????????

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Peter is quite right of course Claudia, poles are no different to everything else in life, you get what you pay for. For the sort of fishing you are talking about any pole that takes up to a 14 elastic is quite capable of doing both jobs and if you spread your elastic choice out a bit say a number 6 in one then a number 10 then a number 12 and this way you can fish for most species, river or lake. The lightest is not always the best neither is the heaviest but somewhere in between is a good compromise and most poles in the price range you are talking about will feel more comfortable without the butt section so yes, 14 metres is a good length.

Just one thing to remember, if its going at a veryreduced price it may be that the pole is no longer produced which in turn may mean you can't get spares when the inevitable breakage occurs.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I wasn't thinking of fishing for silver with a 20 elastic lol, come to think of it, I don't think I would ever want to use a 20 elastic on a pole, as I have no plans on fishing for 20+ carp on a pole

I was thinking of a 4-6 elastic on the match kit and 8-10 and a 10-12 on the power kits.

I understand what you mean about spares Graham but Peter educated me, Preston keep selling spares for about 5 yrs, so even if the model is a couple of years old, you still should be able to get spare sections.

Decisions, decisions/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Of to the tackle shop tomorrow, I'm going to have a look at a few to see how they handle....I guess that's the best way before deciding which one to go for

Reaction score
I know what you guys are saying, but a carp pole, will sag / droop a lot and they are heavy, the reason i said this about the mentioned preston, is that i have felt one in the shop, and did not like it, a much better pole in my opinion (although not as long) are the MAP TKS poles and the Shimano Technium XTA As these although labeld as carp poles are stiffers and so more responsive so bites are easier to hit.

I have a Technium 13m pole and even though i have a choice of most of the poles on the market (with discount - tackle shop job) i find that this is one of the best for under ?550 ish. (I also have a much more expensive 16m preston and used to have a 16m Maver)

When i felt the TKS pole i was equally amazed, although slightly heavier (and stronger) it is remarkably stiff, and so would be good for silvers and great for carp (Technium is good for silvers and good for carp)

Ryan

In my opinion that price range (?250 - ?300) is a hard region in which to get a good pole, as some manufacturers don't make them. Have you thought about second hand....

Reaction score
"The fact of the matter Claudia is that there is no such thing as a full and proper compromise (in that price range) for an excellent silver and/or Carp pole."

Couldn't agree more peter and am doubting (from what i have seen) that there is a pole that can do both styles 'properly'

Ryan

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look Ryan at the Preston Genis range, I was playing with one yesterday and it really is an excellent pole for both Carp and silver fish. Of course, not in the 'cheap' price range but the idea of continuously availability of spares and top kits is a boon in this day and age.

In a perfect world I'd stick to my Milo 10-10 for silver fish but I'm down to my last top 4 (clumsy git that I am) and seemingly cannot get any replacements.

So, I am looking for a decent pole to handle both types of fishing and the Preston range are top of my list right now.

PS - I have had that Milo 10-10 for about 12 years and originally bought it with 5 top 4's and I still think that at 14.5m there is no better pole around.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Claudia,

Before spending a lot of money on a 14.5 or 16 metre pole I would ask myself a couple of questions.

1. Am I going to do matchfishing where to be unable to compete could be a drawback? That means more than one friendly a year - two or three matches a week.

2. If not then pleasure fishing can almost always be accomplished with far less than 10 metres. Fishing longer than 11 metres is hard work and only really necessay when you have to reach an island or the far bank of a canal, although often when pleasure fishing you can get the fish much closer. This makes the whole operation much simpler. When pole fishing I hardly ever fish beyond 8 metres - why make it difficult?

If, therefore, the justification for 14.5 metres is tenuous then by buying agood light but strong pole at 10 or 11 metres will save you a lot of money, remembering that as a pole gets more expensive so does everything spare about it ie top kits cost more, spare joints cost more and so on.

GM and myself bought Daiwa Yank 'n Bank poles last year. They cost @£125, come with 2 spare power kits, are strong, light and very slim. At 7 or 8 metres they are stiff enough to be usable. They may not be the best pole on the market for silvers but unless you are competing at top level it won't make a difference.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Mark, at the moment I'm still looking around, Dave from Whiterington farm invited me to have a 'test run' on a couple of his poles to see which one would suit me best.

I'm not going to rush in to buying one just yet, I set myself a budget and I will shop around before deciding.

So far my 'old' pole is doing the trick, although it could do with being a little more stiffer and lighter but it's ok for practicing.

james faulkner 3

Reaction score
I have a mavermobydick 10.80mt unused pole as newi am looking to sell poss on ebay, does anyone have an idea of wot i can expect to get for it?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I use the Technium as well, which I inherited off my my son having given my old poles away, it takes a 14 elastic and will land carp up to 10lb no trouble. At 9 metres which is the length I normally fish it at Ifind it plenty stiff enough, light enough so that it doesn't pull on my bad back and I can fish all day with it. I use it mainly for silver fish with a No. 6 elastic but I will step up to a No.10 if I think there are some small carp in there.

I agree totally with Mark, its not worth paying loads of money for a polewhich has a very limited lifespan, especially if you aren't using it a lot, worse still buying 14.5 metres that you will probably never fish with.

Reaction score
Someone, who i was talking to in the shop today, was selling a brand new Daiwa yank n bank pole, unused, still i a sealed bag for upwards of ?50, i told him to put it on here but will he ??????

Ryan

(Apparently the pole was part of an insurance payout, as a replacement for a cheapo pole / whip thing !!!)