Do I buy a new or old centrepin?

P

Paul Lovejoy

I'm going to buy a pin, and I have looked at the previous pin forums but still can't make up my mind. Basically I will pay a couple of hundred quid, but do I go for a top of the range new model or go for an old one like the Aerial Match? I intend to use it mainly for trotting and a bit of legering.

A

Alan Roe

What A supprise I'm answering this one!
No question about it go for a new one as modern engineering methods and techniques mean that you can have a much nicer quality product for your money. A modern pin in the price bracket you are talking about will last your lifetime and that of your kids and be much more efficient and pleasurable to use.

The only reasons for buying an oldie is to try to pretend that you have been using them all your life as a form of pose popular amongst some ageing old gits, or to flog it on to an unsuspecting collector who will glass case it!!!!

J

John Pleasance

I'd have to agree with Alan, if you intend to spend that much then you may as well buy a new one,unless you know a lot about them and know exactly what you are getting.

One point to watch for if you intend to leger with it, is to make sure that the ratchet is up to the job,in fact make sure it has a ratchet,not all pins have them.

R

Richard Drayson

My advice would be to find a reel that, regardless of age -
1) You like the look of.
2) Is in your price range.
3) Will do the job.

As with any other item of tackle, your choice will come down to personal preference.
As Alan says, modern manufacturing processes and materials are a lot better now, however, I own three centrepins and only one was purchased brand new; the Young's Purist.
My other two 'pins are a Dave Swallow and a narrow drum Speedia.
The Swallow reel is used for my chub and barbel fishing and the Speedia for roach.

May I suggest you take a look at these pages from another site.
http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=27

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=360

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=1965
Happy hunting :)

L

Laurie Harper

I would definitely buy a new one. As everyone says, manufacturing tolerances are much better these days. The other big plus is that you don't pay a "collectability" premium, as you do on vintage stuff. I have a couple of old ones and three new. Viewed purely as a functional reel, my favourite is my Swallow. It runs beautifully, is very well made and didn't cost the earth.

P

Paul Lovejoy

So a new one it is, as I'm going to be using it most for trotting which one has the least resistance? Alan I think it was you that said previously that the Bob James Purist from Masterline was the best, is that still the case?

K

Kevan Farmer

There are a lot of very nice old Aerials out there. What a pity they are so grossly over priced. And what a pity there are some awful examples too. The best thing I can say is listen to Alan, he knows what he is talking about...well when it comes to pins :))))) Seriously, Alan is probably one of the countries top handful of experts - I know one other and when advice is given they rarely differ.

Kevan

A

Alan Roe

There is little doubt that the Bob James is a very fine piece of equipment and will fullfil all of your requirements.
The best buy for this reel are at Castaway tackle who are doing them at ?209 and Swiftys who I am lead to belive are doing them a little cheaper than that!
If you get one of these reels you will have a piece of equipment that will give you pleasure for life.
The other reel I recommend highly is the Browning revolver which was also made by Youngs. They are a limited edition of 250 and are getting hard to find now though If you can track one down that is another superb reel that will also give you a lifetimes pleasure.