starter pole

dead peg

Reaction score
hello chaps , i'm looking for a bit of advice . my 15 year old son has been looking at poles lately and i want to get him one for his birthday . i dont want to get a expensive one in case he doesnt take to it . can anyone help with any suggestions ? it will be used on canals & commercials
ive narrowed it down to a few but any reviews or alternatives most welcome as im clueless when it comes to pole fishing :-

Maver Abyss 9.5m
Middy White Knuckle Thriller 8m
Ron Thompson Gangster 11m
Maver Blue Vega 11m

Thanks for any information

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those are all good choices, with Maver maybe edging out the other two. Check if you get more than one top kit with any. Maver are the easiest of the three to get spares if he takes to it and wants more kits or has a breakage.

The Abyss and White Knuckle are out and out margin poles and this style of close-in fishing, with the possibility of some bigger fish may suit a beginner better than the longer range stuff.

Put at least a 12 to 16 elastic in for margins on the commercials, but for canals you will need to drop to 6 to 10 elastic so two top kits is a good idea.

I would start him off on the commercials as there is more chance of early success to encourage him.

dead peg

Reaction score
Thanks Jack . both the mavers don't have a spare top kit , something i hadn't considered . both the gangster carp and the white knuckle do . i think the white knuckle might be best for him as his first pole , being short and strong . also most of his fishing is on commercials but it will be ok on occassions on the canal with a light elastic . if he takes to pole fishing i'll get him something longer and lighter .

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Jack . both the mavers don't have a spare top kit , something i hadn't considered . both the gangster carp and the white knuckle do . i think the white knuckle might be best for him as his first pole , being short and strong . also most of his fishing is on commercials but it will be ok on occassions on the canal with a light elastic . if he takes to pole fishing i'll get him something longer and lighter .

Good choice, I have 2 Middy power rods for feeder and pellet waggler and they are excellent. Generally the fish fights the elastic, not the pole so a No 4 in a margin pole will be okay for him on the canal until such time as he decides he wants to take it more seriously.

dead peg

Reaction score
Cheers mate . That's it decided , just sorting out the bits & bobs to go with it now . pole roost , feed pots , rigs , etc . he's a big lad for 15 and can hold 8 mtrs easy , so don't think he needs a spray bar & roller yet until he gets the hang of it .

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Cheers mate . That's it decided , just sorting out the bits & bobs to go with it now . pole roost , feed pots , rigs , etc . he's a big lad for 15 and can hold 8 mtrs easy , so don't think he needs a spray bar & roller yet until he gets the hang of it.

He will need a roller in most circumstances.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers mate . That's it decided , just sorting out the bits & bobs to go with it now . pole roost , feed pots , rigs , etc . he's a big lad for 15 and can hold 8 mtrs easy , so don't think he needs a spray bar & roller yet until he gets the hang of it.

He will need a roller in most circumstances.

True, to avoid any damage to the butt end on the ground.

dead peg

Reaction score
Thanks peter , that's another thing i assumed was an 8 mtr pole doesnt really need a pole roller . to be honest i didn't really think what a pole roller does till just now :eek: . and assumed a roller was only for longer poles 11 mtrs+

is to protect the pole as you ship back quickly , keep it off the floor ?

as i said pole fishing is all new to me . i've only fished rod & line ( although i might have go at this pole fishing myself ) but i want to get him all the accessories he needs because hes going fishing on his birthday , so i'm thankful for any other advice & suggestions

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks peter , that's another thing i assumed was an 8 mtr pole doesnt really need a pole roller . to be honest i didn't really think what a pole roller does till just now :eek: . and assumed a roller was only for longer poles 11 mtrs+

is to protect the pole as you ship back quickly , keep it off the floor ?

as i said pole fishing is all new to me . i've only fished rod & line ( although i might have go at this pole fishing myself ) but i want to get him all the accessories he needs because hes going fishing on his birthday , so i'm thankful for any other advice & suggestions

A roller behind and a pole-sock or tulip-rest by the hand to make sure the pole is protected from the butt chipping and also from being thrown around by gusts of wind. Nowadays a pole-sock is considered to be safer than a tulip-rest. Google Image search the terms 'pole sock' and tulip-rest' to see how they are used.

dead peg

Reaction score
Thanks Jack , I'd have thought I would be able to get a starter pole package on-line or at the tackle shops for anglers new to pole fishing , with all you need for your first session . Not really cheap and nasty gear .. just the basic poles that i've mentioned in the OP along with rollers , rigs , socks , feed pots etc .. ( that yous reminded me i needed as well ) :wh
Imagine how hard it would be for a non-angler to buy a complete ( half decent ) outfit to start pole-fishing themselves or as a gift to an angler just starting ?
I've fished for a few years and i'm learning a lot about what i need to buy to start him pole fishing

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Jack , I'd have thought I would be able to get a starter pole package on-line or at the tackle shops for anglers new to pole fishing , with all you need for your first session . Not really cheap and nasty gear .. just the basic poles that i've mentioned in the OP along with rollers , rigs , socks , feed pots etc .. ( that yous reminded me i needed as well ) :wh
Imagine how hard it would be for a non-angler to buy a complete ( half decent ) outfit to start pole-fishing themselves or as a gift to an angler just starting ?
I've fished for a few years and i'm learning a lot about what i need to buy to start him pole fishing

You will have a go with his pole and you will get one for yourself, it's a great way to fish! :D

I am sure there was a starter kit inc. a Middy White Knuckle, elasticated and with accessories for between £60-90 recently in Improve Your Coarse Fishing Magazine and it might have been Chapmans Angling that had it on offer. Have a good look around before purchasing separates.